Export thread

leaking oil on 22 inch self propeled Toro mower

J

jmithell

Oil was low so I put oil in mower. Now it leaking oil. I don't think that it is over full. I am concerned that something is cracked. Could I have damaged the engine if it was too hot when I added the oil? What should I do?

R

Rivets

Clean the mower and engine very well and dry very well to remove all evidence of oil. Don't let your better half see you grab the flour container out of the pantry. Dust the base of the dry engine lightly with some flour and wait. The flour getting wet will show you where it is coming from. Post back the location after you put the rest of the flour away. You don't tell us what type ofengine you have I'm betting a Tecumseh. I'm also betting that the oil will show up first around the base of the oil fill tube, which will mean you will have to replace a $1.50 seal at the bottom of the tube. Did you damage the engine, I doubt it unless you used cooking oil to refill.

J

jmithell

Could you be more specific about the "seal at the bottom of the tube"? Where exactly is this and how is it replaced? Thank you, Joe

Clean the mower and engine very well and dry very well to remove all evidence of oil. Don't let your better half see you grab the flour container out of the pantry. Dust the base of the dry engine lightly with some flour and wait. The flour getting wet will show you where it is coming from. Post back the location after you put the rest of the flour away. You don't tell us what type ofengine you have I'm betting a Tecumseh. I'm also betting that the oil will show up first around the base of the oil fill tube, which will mean you will have to replace a $1.50 seal at the bottom of the tube. Did you damage the engine, I doubt it unless you used cooking oil to refill.

R

Rivets

Post your engine model numbers and I'll get a picture to better explain.

J

jmithell

Post your engine model numbers and I'll get a picture to better explain.
I am at the office right now but it is a toro 6.5 hp engine.

R

Rivets

I need the model numbers don't know if you have a Briggs or Techumseh.

J

jmithell

I need the model numbers don't know if you have a Briggs or Techumseh.
I have a Briggs and Statton with ready start. It is 7.25 ft-lb and 190cc. Hope this helps. Nowhere do I see a model number. It is call a personal pace toro with electric start. I tried changing the oil, adding all new oil and it purred like a kitten. Only once I had mowed about 1/4 of the yard I noticed that oil had pooled up at the base of the mower platform--toward the front. I do not see any leaking around the oil tube. But there is a small plastic black "plate" toward the front that looks like it might be wet beneath but cannot really tell. I do not think that this engine has a plug because the oil changing directions say to tilt mower and drain from oil tube where the dip stick goes. I do not understand where the leak is coming from or how to stop it. I appreciate your suggestions.

Joe

R

Rivets

Have you looked for the model numbers on the black sheet metal cover above the muffler.

J

jmithell

Have you looked for the model numbers on the black sheet metal cover above the muffler.

Model No. is 20332
Toro 6.5 hp
22"
electric start

R

Rivets

Go to page two of the website and find illustration number 524, which is the seal on the oil fill tube. It is Briggs part number 692296. This is what I feel is the cause of your oil leak, replace it.

J

jmithell

Go to page two of the website and find illustration number 524, which is the seal on the oil fill tube. It is Briggs part number 692296. This is what I feel is the cause of your oil leak, replace it.

Sorry but I am not familiar with what website you are referring to? How do I find page 2 and how do I find the part numbers? Is this part of this website or a toro site?

R

Rivets

Sorry, but I can't help you. Suggest you take it to the repair shop and have them replace the oil fill tube seal. That's my best and cheapest answer.

S

sanibel

have exact problem, model, symptoms, etc. Will replace the seal and let you know.

S

sanibel

was not seal. Was the main gasket between engine and its cover. used a gasket making material and worked like a charm