Export thread

leaf plow

B

boston

Is building a leaf plow for my tractor worth it?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Well it depends how much you would use it and how far you need to take a leaf pile from where you make it. If you don't do it a lot a blower, vacuum, etc. would be fine.

slammed

slammed

I think it would be as long as you us it more then once a year.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I think it would be as long as you us it more then once a year.

That is true because it probably won't cost a lot to build it, so just using it a few times would make it worth it.

slammed

slammed

What are you going to build it with?

B

boston

I would use it daily. All my customers have excessive leaf fall. Ive have always used 2 guys to help me:2 backpack blowers and 1 walk behind blower. But the problem is that my walk behind blower keeps catching on fire so I can't use it, not that it helps that Much with the huge piles anyway. Yesterday we were at a clients house blowing the leaves from back to front and his backyard is about half an acre. We had to blow ALL the leaves into a tiny fence gate opening leading to the front and ended up with a huge mountain of leaves before the opening. We used a lot of gas and the whole job took longer than it shouldve. The pile was about 5 ft tall and mayb 10x15. This is only one customer, some of our clients are worse in that matter. I had to move the whole pile about 300-400 feet.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I would use it daily. All my customers have excessive leaf fall. Ive have always used 2 guys to help me:2 backpack blowers and 1 walk behind blower. But the problem is that my walk behind blower keeps catching on fire so I can't use it, not that it helps that Much with the huge piles anyway. Yesterday we were at a clients house blowing the leaves from back to front and his backyard is about half an acre. We had to blow ALL the leaves into a tiny fence gate opening leading to the front and ended up with a huge mountain of leaves before the opening. We used a lot of gas and the whole job took longer than it shouldve. The pile was about 5 ft tall and mayb 10x15. This is only one customer, some of our clients are worse in that matter. I had to move the whole pile about 300-400 feet.

WOW that sounds like a job!! What I usually do is use the blower on heavy leaves to get it into a pile. Then I put the leaves on a tarp and dump them in the road. Then for the rest of the yard I use the bagger on the mower to suck the leaves up.

B

boston

Yea I would have sucked everything up with my tractor but it didn't fit tbrough the fence gate. Mayb ill try the tarp idea, thanks for the help :)

slammed

slammed

Yea I would have sucked everything up with my tractor but it didn't fit tbrough the fence gate. Mayb ill try the tarp idea, thanks for the help :)

You could also us a leaf vac with a long hose.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

You can get a really big bagger for a mower, like this:
big leaf bag on riding mower.jpg Here is the website for the "Monster Leaf Bag": http://www.monsterleafbag.com/.
big leaf bag push mower.jpg Or they make ones for push mowers...here: http://www.abletotech.com/.

L

lostinbaja

Leaf plows are worth their weight in gold. I haven't found anything that can move as many leaves as easily as far and as quickly as a leaf plow.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Leaf plows are worth their weight in gold. I haven't found anything that can move as many leaves as easily as far and as quickly as a leaf plow.

What do you have yours attached to?? A walk-behind, rider, or ZTR mower?

L

lostinbaja

I have it on the front of a Grasshopper 1820 front mount ZTR.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Nice! Even though you have it on a different kind of machine maybe if you could post some pictures of it (in general, and also how it mounts to the mower) it would help out boston.

slammed

slammed

Post some pics please it would be interesting to see how it mounts/looks.