Lawn vacuum

Torontonian

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hope someone can help here. We are required to use paper leaf bags for curb side pick up. I have a metal grass catcher for my 32" ferris but it still requires me dumping it into the bags. On the larger lots that's every pass.

I recently bought a Troy-bilt self propelled leaf vac. I wanted to remove the canvas bag it comes with as well as cut the top off of the chute and custom make a chute that will angle to blow the leaves into the paper bags as it currently sits at about waist high and the bags are taller. I was going to make the chute out of a similar metal as the grass catcher with predrilled holes to allow the air to escape and the leaves to blow into the bags and place a small platform for the bags to rest on.

Most gates to the backyards are 32" and the ferris or lawn vac is the only thing I can get back there. I have been to every supplier around and there's a bigger version of the vac I have, made by "billygoat", that's too pricey for me to start modifying. Maybe elbow grease and a strong back are the only answer. Either way I would like to give it a shot as I didn't pay much for the vac.

Good idea/bad idea? Any other suggestions?

LandN

Threads
years ago i modified a large metal trash(burn)can w/holes and mounted it on top of my 33" walk behind with a custom made chute going to the top of the trash(burn)can. it actually worked pretty good.but i just couldn't take it out to do yards cause it really looked like the zombie mower from ****.:laughing:...but yes what ever you rig up needs to have vents/screening. i also had the craftsman lawn vac... probably like the troy bilt but the performance in wet leaves was not real good, and the front shnoot always dug into any protruding bumps in the lawn. actually worked better when i pulled it than pushed it forward.