Lawn Tractor Steering Lubrication

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
With no lubrication on those without lube design , how long can we expect a lawn tractor steering system with sector gear and pinion gear / bearing to last ? You guys with a shop may have more information on the subject than the average home owner , but home owners welcome to post any information on the subject .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That really depends on the operating conditions the unit is used in. Dirty and sanding conditions will cause faster wear than clean conditions. I have a 1994 3816XL Toro tractor that I’ve only lubed the steering bushings 2-3 times. I use a spray dry graphite lube only in these areas, asi don’t want to attract dirt, which will happen if you use grease or oil. Pinion and sector gears are never lubed for that reason. Just check that they are clean and dry. 2 main causes of pinion and sector gear wear are dirt and bushing wear.

Forest#2

Threads
AND I've noticed that OP's just ignor a lawn tractor steering when it first gets slack or even when it jumps gears when turning they just keep operating.
I've also seen where people replace the pinion and sector gear and they jump teeth due to re-installing worn out or wrong bushings at the pinion gear area and not pay attention also to the up/down slack.
Several of the lawn tractors just use bushings and they are plastic and I've seen the wrong ones installed and the shims placed back into the wrong places. Keep in mind that several of the Lawn tractors are purposely made to wear out in the steering area.
So to answer your question, It varies.