Export thread

Lawn Boy with leaking gas tank

T-Wort

T-Wort

I got a Lawn Boy that I found it at the side of the road, it had the model and serial number tags removed so I'm not exactly sure what model it is, but I think it's a 4262. I fueled it up and noticed that the fuel valve was leaking and i was wondering how to fix it?
My avatar is a pic of the lawnmower I'm talking about.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

On most of the Lawn-Boys that I've seen the valve can be replaced separately. Could you take a better picture (or two -- including a close-up of the valve)?

Are you sure that the valve is leaking -- not the tank? Valves aren't all that expensive. You may even be able to make do with a generic valve.

But hey -- the price was right. :thumbsup:

jmurray01

jmurray01

A Lawn Boy at the side of the road with just a leaking valve!? You've just got your early Christmas present there my friend!

Mwh0428

Mwh0428

I have an old lawn boy from 76 I think and it would always leak out of the drain on the carb. Wish I had that running bit somebody filled my gas can up with regular gas and not mixed and did not tell me

Fireman 123

Fireman 123

Mwh0428 said:
I have an old lawn boy from 76 I think and it would always leak out of the drain on the carb. Wish I had that running bit somebody filled my gas can up with regular gas and not mixed and did not tell me

Whoops :( It may be rebuildable if you can get the engine dismantled. Or you usually can find replacement engines on eBay. I think it'd make a good winter project.

T-Wort

T-Wort

I got looking at the valve a little more, and realized it was actually the tank around the valve post, it's about 1.5" long. So now I'm not sure what to do to fix it, would hot glue work, or would there be another way to fix it?

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I got looking at the valve a little more, and realized it was actually the tank around the valve post, it's about 1.5" long. So now I'm not sure what to do to fix it, would hot glue work, or would there be another way to fix it?

There has been at least one thread on this subject -- it was either in Small Engine and Mower Repair or General Mower Discussion. The thread(s) gets into specific products, etc.

I've never had the problem but I think it probably is possible to make that repair.

Mwh0428

Mwh0428

You can get a gas tank repair kit at napa auto parts

reynoldston

reynoldston

I have been repairing gas tanks for years. Back years ago we used solder. Then they came out with a product called Seals-all. Comes in a yellow tube and looks like a clear glue. Been useing it for years. The big think about repairing a gas tank make sure the spot you are going to fix is very, very clean and dry or what ever you use isn't going to hold. I know they did come out with a repair kit that you could repair the gas leak with the gas comeing out but I never had any luck with it.

T-Wort

T-Wort

The only bad thing about solder is my lawn-boy has a plastic shroud so solder won't work

reynoldston

reynoldston

The only bad thing about solder is my lawn-boy has a plastic shroud so solder won't work

]

As I said years ago I used solder, this would have been in the early 60's. I would never use solder with all the new gas tank repair products out there. For one thing you had to use high heat with solder which wasn't safe. Don't even think about using solder and I am sorry I even said anything about it. Just go to any auto parts store I they will set you all up with what you need for this repair and it will be safe to work with. Just make sure the spot that you are repairing is clean and dry. As being clean down to the bare metal with no paint or rust. If the leak was caused from stress on the tank make sure you repair that also or it will just happen over again.

G

gary lee

I repaired a cracked gas tank on a 8232 with jb weld, works fine

reynoldston

reynoldston

I repaired a cracked gas tank on a 8232 with jb weld, works fine

JB weld is something I have in my shop all the time. Yes it would be very good to repair your tank plus a lot of other uses. Just a little slow drying but very strong when cured.