Export thread

Lawn Boy Model 10515 won't start

R

RENeal

My Mother has a 1995 Model 10515 that will not start. It has about 110 lbs. of compression and has spark. I spray starting fluid in the carb and it will not even fire. My guess is that it is a timing issue, but I am not sure if a 2 cycle can be out of time ?? It seems as if she has had problems with this mower for awhile. It is in real good shape and I have committed to her that I could make it run. Any suggestions to help me save my reputation would be appreciated. Thanks :confused:

R

Rivets

Check the PTO and Mag seals. May have compression, but not getting fuel into the crankcase.

turfboy1997

turfboy1997

My Mother has a 1995 Model 10515 that will not start. It has about 110 lbs. of compression and has spark. I spray starting fluid in the carb and it will not even fire. My guess is that it is a timing issue, but I am not sure if a 2 cycle can be out of time ?? It seems as if she has had problems with this mower for awhile. It is in real good shape and I have committed to her that I could make it run. Any suggestions to help me save my reputation would be appreciated. Thanks :confused:

yes a 2 cycle can be out of time. There is a flywheel key on the crankshaft. The key could be sheared and that could cause it to spark at the wrong time. i would start there since it did not even try to fire with the starting fluid. let us know what you find and if you have any more questions.

R

Rivets

To check for a sheared key you have to remove the flywheel, so then you check the made seal. Might just as well check the PTO seal first.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Priming a two-cycle engine with starting fluid is a bad idea since it doesn't have oil mixed with the fuel. Use regular two-cycle mixture.

Good luck and let us know how it's going.

R

RENeal

I got the thing to fire. Looked at the key and keyway as suggested and it was fine. Put it back together and poured a little gas in the carb and it fired. Apparently the starting fluid would not let/make it fire.

Next issue: I put the fuel tank back on and it leaked gasoline around the shut off valve. I took it apart and decided I should replace the rubber seal inside. Called Jack's Small engine parts and they said it was no longer available and I should try to "make" something. Any ideas? Is there a way to make something to keep the valve from leaking? Any ideas where I may find one of the seals. If I just flipped the seal would that work? Thanks

Attachments

impalass

impalass

I got the thing to fire. Looked at the key and keyway as suggested and it was fine. Put it back together and poured a little gas in the carb and it fired. Apparently the starting fluid would not let/make it fire.

Next issue: I put the fuel tank back on and it leaked gasoline around the shut off valve. I took it apart and decided I should replace the rubber seal inside. Called Jack's Small engine parts and they said it was no longer available and I should try to "make" something. Any ideas? Is there a way to make something to keep the valve from leaking? Any ideas where I may find one of the seals. If I just flipped the seal would that work? Thanks
If the seal is not hard make sure every is clean and retry it.

P

Phototone

That rubber seal was the same over a couple of decades of Lawnboy mowers, although they changed the shape and length of the shut-off lever. Your best bet is to go on ebay and look for a replacement lever/seal kit. Then just discard the lever if it doesn't match yours, use your old lever. Use the new seal, washer and clamp.

S

shelby5041

I have same lawn boy 2 cycle mower..i have spark but wont try to start

I spray starting fluid in plug hole and still wont fire.....one person said you need oil in mixture but i disagree....to get it ti fire you dont need oil....

Any ideas why it wouldnt start?