Export thread

Lasting ztr

C

Confused

I am 43 years old I have bought my last house and I want to bye my last mower I have two acres with trees and have been looking at ztrs and want to spend less than $5000 any advice ? Something that will hold up ?

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I am 43 years old I have bought my last house and I want to bye my last mower I have two acres with trees and have been looking at ztrs and want to spend less than $5000 any advice ? Something that will hold up ?

Maybe more then 5000$ I am think around 6000 The Exmark Pioneer with a large deck will last you a long time :thumbsup:

Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy

Look this winter for a good used commercial mower with low hrs. It'll last and you'll get a lot bigger bang for your buck than buying a new homeowner model mower.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

Look this winter for a good used commercial mower with low hrs. It'll last and you'll get a lot bigger bang for your buck than buying a new homeowner model mower.

The one I recommend is a commercial mower with a warranty :rolleyes:

Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy

The one I recommend is a commercial mower with a warranty :rolleyes:

If the budget allows, Absolutely!

jekjr

jekjr

Go buy a Kubota 0 down and 0 interest. It will be more money but it will last you as long as you live.

Ric

Ric

Most any good commercial mower will last a homeowner for years and years if they preform the maintenance that needs to be done. I'd have to agree with Sprinkler Buddy Look this winter for a good used Commercial grade mower maybe off of Craigslist with low hrs. It will last you years and you'll get a lot bigger bang for your buck. Most new homeowner model mowers, the type you would buy at Home Depot or Lowes won't last for the numbers of years you'll require to be your last mower. Something like this

2006 52" Hustler Commercial Zero-Turn Lawn Mower - $3500

00K0K_bxvruOQHSfl_600x450.jpg

2006 52" Hustler Commercial Zero-Turn Lawn Mower

-18 HP 2 Cylinder Honda Motor
-Auto type full lubrication (with oil filter)
-Three new blades
-52" commercial deck (built up)
-152 hours
-Dual fuel tanks
-Just installed two brand new hydraulic wheel pumps (motors)
-Runs and looks great

$3,500 OBO. Can Deliver.

(352) 583-0420

[h=2]Exmark Lazer Z Zero Turn Commercial 52 inch cut - $3200[/h]
00d0d_k2afipxMq25_600x450.jpg

STUPID LOW ORIGINAL HOURS here is my exmark its a 52 inch cut , im not mowing anymore so it must go. the price is firm at 3200. i just bought brand new rear tires yesterday. this is a great machine no rust what so ever very tight hydros, engine has lots of power. it has a 27 horse Kohloer engine !!!!

i AM NOT LOOKING TO TRADE!!!

CASH ONLY 3200.00 if you know what you are looking at this is a great deal i

863 370 2485
and guess what it only has 340 hours do you realize that is unheard of for a Commercial used mower that has only been used on 1 residence its entire life !!!these sell all the time with 8-1500 plus hours this machine will easily run 4k plus hours with the continued oil changes the way it has been since day 1 from one owner to you.
zero turn mower snapper hustler exmark toro z master scag lazer z super z lawn mower zero turn landscape mower

djdicetn

djdicetn

Buying a used commercial(like the examples user Ric provided) will be the only way you can get something that will mow 2 acres for as long as you will need one(43 is kinda young for buying a "last anything"). Otherwise, the suggestion of $5k-$6K(and for a new ZTR, I would recommend $6k-$8K for a entry-to-mid-level commercial that properly maintainted would last 20+ years). If you go lowball and get a used commercial, are mechanically inclined to deal with any problems associated from mowing dozens of yards a day/week then you may be OK. I spent close to $7K on my "last mower"....but then again I'm getting ready to retire and have almost 20 years on you. Mine, most likely, will serve my son....and my grandson very well long after I'm gone. Think about it.....could you go out right now and by a car or truck that would be the last one you ever buy???? A machine, even well kept only lasts so long(although I do have a 1995 Chevy Silverado Z-71 with 235K miles(original owner) that will outlive me so it "is possible". Good luck finding your last mower(take a look at the Gravely 100 XDZ ZTR's if you have a nearby dealer.....just don't expect to get in one for $5K:0).

Ric

Ric

Buying a used commercial(like the examples user Ric provided) will be the only way you can get something that will mow 2 acres for as long as you will need one(43 is kinda young for buying a "last anything"). Otherwise, the suggestion of $5k-$6K(and for a new ZTR, I would recommend $6k-$8K for a entry-to-mid-level commercial that properly maintainted would last 20+ years). If you go lowball and get a used commercial, are mechanically inclined to deal with any problems associated from mowing dozens of yards a day/week then you may be OK. I spent close to $7K on my "last mower"....but then again I'm getting ready to retire and have almost 20 years on you. Mine, most likely, will serve my son....and my grandson very well long after I'm gone. Think about it.....could you go out right now and by a car or truck that would be the last one you ever buy???? A machine, even well kept only lasts so long(although I do have a 1995 Chevy Silverado Z-71 with 235K miles(original owner) that will outlive me so it "is possible". Good luck finding your last mower(take a look at the Gravely 100 XDZ ZTR's if you have a nearby dealer.....just don't expect to get in one for $5K:0).

I don't know about the location of the OP and Craigslist but here you can find deals like the examples I posted all the time. If you keep watch on the list at the end of the season someone is always wanting to sell to upgrade or even because they've decided to leave the business. Here's another just posted yesterday that is if you like Gravely:wink:

Gravely Stand Up Mower - $2900

00h0h_fdQloDCGQeS_600x450.jpg

Gravely stand up mowers. Low hours. Great condition. Ready to use, great for lawn service. Works well for tight spaces.

Call Oren for more details or to see mower.
813-541-8613

djdicetn

djdicetn

I don't know about the location of the OP and Craigslist but here you can find deals like the examples I posted all the time. If you keep watch on the list at the end of the season someone is always wanting to sell to upgrade or even because they've decided to leave the business. Here's another just posted yesterday that is if you like Gravely:wink:

Gravely Stand Up Mower - $2900

00h0h_fdQloDCGQeS_600x450.jpg

Gravely stand up mowers. Low hours. Great condition. Ready to use, great for lawn service. Works well for tight spaces.

Call Oren for more details or to see mower.
813-541-8613

Yeah, seriously though......I bought an entry-level commercial as "my last mower", but I am 60+ years old. Don't you agree(whether new or used) that a < $5k ZTR bought at age 43 is asking a lot to be your "last mower"???

P

possum

Be careful buying used anything. Make sure of ownership. Do not buy anything that does not make sense. For example. New wheel pumps and 152 hours. That does not make much sense on a commercial unit. These days around here at least buying used lawn stuff is a bit nerve racking. Folks have no money. So they sell things that do not belong to them. Or they leave town , and settle debts by trading items that are two hard to move to settle them. Then a couple months later the repo folks show up looking for it. Nice new mowers come with nice new warranties and nice new proof of ownership. Those large ride on or stand up mowers will mow a couple acres in a flash and not even break a sweat. Who cares if you own the last one or just another one. A five thousand dollar mower will run a good long time if purchased new.

Ric

Ric

Yeah, seriously though......I bought an entry-level commercial as "my last mower", but I am 60+ years old. Don't you agree(whether new or used) that a < $5k ZTR bought at age 43 is asking a lot to be your "last mower"???

I guess at the age of 43 that is asking a lot but the again depending on how much it's going to be used is something he is looking at. LOL I mean he is 43 and say if he uses it until he is 80 at 25hrs a year is still less than a thousand hours. :laughing:

djdicetn

djdicetn

I guess at the age of 43 that is asking a lot but the again depending on how much it's going to be used is something he is looking at. LOL I mean he is 43 and say if he uses it until he is 80 at 25hrs a year is still less than a thousand hours. :laughing:

Yeah.....2 acres(but in Michigan), he may only put around 25 hrs/yr. And as far as a ROI(return on investment), at age 80 he will have come out at $135/year for the ZTR(plus maintenance cost). Not a bad investment. If he does the math though, he may realize that if he spends $7,500 on one that's still only about $200/year(you can't get someone else to mow your yard for that much.........RIGHT:0)

If I were going to recommend what I would get if I were him, it would be the 48" Gravely Pro-Turn(regular MSRP is $6,699 and my local dealer has it on sale right now for $5,999) or even a step up to the 48" Pro-Turn 100 XDZ like mine(regular MSRP is $8,099 with the Kawa on sale for $7,299). At this time of year he may get those prices "out-the-door" including tax if he haggles a little. I'd be pretty confident the XDZ(stands for Extra Durability Zero Turn) model would last him 37 years if well-maintained!!! As you can tell....I love my Gravely!!!!

B

Brucebotti

Be careful buying used anything. Make sure of ownership. Do not buy anything that does not make sense. For example. New wheel pumps and 152 hours. That does not make much sense on a commercial unit. These days around here at least buying used lawn stuff is a bit nerve racking. Folks have no money. So they sell things that do not belong to them. Or they leave town , and settle debts by trading items that are two hard to move to settle them. Then a couple months later the repo folks show up looking for it. Nice new mowers come with nice new warranties and nice new proof of ownership. Those large ride on or stand up mowers will mow a couple acres in a flash and not even break a sweat. Who cares if you own the last one or just another one. A five thousand dollar mower will run a good long time if purchased new.

Possum,
I agree with you. Another reason I went with new is that I really have no ZTR experience and really wouldn't have known what to look for in a used ZTR. Like Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry, "a man's got to know his limitations"....:smile:
Bruce

G

Goddahavit

Without knowing specifics about use and lawn type size its hard to suggest a mower.

I have noticed on these forums people will constantly recommend something outside peoples budget, apparently nothing good can be purchased unless its full commercial.

Under 5k, you have ariens, hustler, exmark toro husky, etc. I will go over the ones i considered. the thread opener needs to narrow down his deck size, construction and motor preference.

I wanted to stay in the 3100 series of transmissions, and 48-52 deck size.

I see no reason depending on use they can not expect the mower to be the last one, I just did the same thing, and yes i expect it to be the last mower i purchase, (hopefully). I will not be mowing my yard when im 80, lol

My short list was:

Ariens max zoom 52 $4899 4 year 0% financing $125 fee
husqvarna m-zt52 $5400 but was offered $4825 4 year financing not sure of fees
kubota kommander 48 $4500 cheapest but with hidden insurance cost if using financing yery annoying.... 3 year 0% financing

I did not consider any toro products, due to my feelings about my previous tractor, may to be my folly but many consider them to be a fine mower.

also considered but didnt make the cut was:
exmark quest s

out of my price range:

hustler fastrack 48
big dog 48 r series
skag
gravley yes over by 100 but it was over......

I wound up with the ariens, but the best deal i could get was on the husky. the kommander cut great felt solid, but on my hills and banks the ariens just felt more stable.
I did not have an opportunity to try or even see the husky, probably the reason i didn't purchase it.

hope it helps.

Eric

E

edd

for under or around 5000 you can get a big dog r series or a toro timecutter mx model .....both excellent mowers .....and both with new warranty.....have used both and would recommend either

djdicetn

djdicetn

Without knowing specifics about use and lawn type size its hard to suggest a mower.

I have noticed on these forums people will constantly recommend something outside peoples budget, apparently nothing good can be purchased unless its full commercial.

Under 5k, you have ariens, hustler, exmark toro husky, etc. I will go over the ones i considered. the thread opener needs to narrow down his deck size, construction and motor preference.

I wanted to stay in the 3100 series of transmissions, and 48-52 deck size.

I see no reason depending on use they can not expect the mower to be the last one, I just did the same thing, and yes i expect it to be the last mower i purchase, (hopefully). I will not be mowing my yard when im 80, lol

My short list was:

Ariens max zoom 52 $4899 4 year 0% financing $125 fee
husqvarna m-zt52 $5400 but was offered $4825 4 year financing not sure of fees
kubota kommander 48 $4500 cheapest but with hidden insurance cost if using financing yery annoying.... 3 year 0% financing

I did not consider any toro products, due to my feelings about my previous tractor, may to be my folly but many consider them to be a fine mower.

also considered but didnt make the cut was:
exmark quest s

out of my price range:

hustler fastrack 48
big dog 48 r series
skag
gravley yes over by 100 but it was over......

I wound up with the ariens, but the best deal i could get was on the husky. the kommander cut great felt solid, but on my hills and banks the ariens just felt more stable.
I did not have an opportunity to try or even see the husky, probably the reason i didn't purchase it.

hope it helps.

Eric

Those are all very good recommendations for a homeowner with a $5k max budget for a new ZTR. Problem with the OP was that he wants one of those to last him 35-40 years mowing 2 acres which may be a little unrealistic. User edd also made some good recommendations. Sometimes budget and performance/durability/longevity expectation conflicts is why a lot of us recommend going high-end Residential or entry-level Commercial. Does a normal homeowner need one of those.......no, but again it's all about what your expectations are. Now user ILikeMyMowersBig needs to give useful advice or find another forum to be a Troll in:0)

B

Brucebotti

for under or around 5000 you can get a big dog r series or a toro timecutter mx model .....both excellent mowers .....and both with new warranty.....have used both and would recommend either

I can vouch for the Toro MX5060. It fit my requirements of a Kawasaki engine; fabricated deck, and serviceable hydro units. They sell for approx $3900. I've only had it for 21 hours of runtime, but so far - so good. I think it will last for a considerable amount of time with proper maintenance.
Bruce

Ric

Ric

Those are all very good recommendations for a homeowner with a $5k max budget for a new ZTR. Problem with the OP was that he wants one of those to last him 35-40 years mowing 2 acres which may be a little unrealistic. User edd also made some good recommendations. Sometimes budget and performance/durability/longevity expectation conflicts is why a lot of us recommend going high-end Residential or entry-level Commercial. Does a normal homeowner need one of those.......no, but again it's all about what your expectations are. Now user ILikeMyMowersBig needs to give useful advice or find another forum to be a Troll in:0)

The thing I'd like to ask is why the 5K budget? If this is going to be my last mower purchase why limit myself. If you want the mower to last for the rest of your life your not looking for any type of return on your money so why not finance 10-12K for as long as possible, get dirt cheap payments and buy a high end commercial, something that has a kickazz warranty to go with it. Something from a good reputable dealer that will help you with maintenance and taking care of the mower when needed. I really don't see that costing anymore than buying a high end residential unit and end up replacing it 8-10 years down the road because everything is going to crap, really which way is cheaper, paying for parts or paying a little interest?

djdicetn

djdicetn

The thing I'd like to ask is why the 5K budget? If this is going to be my last mower purchase why limit myself. If you want the mower to last for the rest of your life your not looking for any type of return on your money so why not finance 10-12K for as long as possible, get dirt cheap payments and buy a high end commercial, something that has a kickazz warranty to go with it. Something from a good reputable dealer that will help you with maintenance and taking care of the mower when needed. I really don't see that costing anymore than buying a high end residential unit and end up replacing it 8-10 years down the road because everything is going to crap, really which way is cheaper, paying for parts or paying a little interest?

That's exactly the logic I was trying to make a point about with my example of $135/year for a $5K machine versus $200/year for a $7.5k one. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to limit yourself on the initial outlay expense when your main objective is longevity and never needing to re-purchase another machine.