last night 721D wouldn't shut-off, today it lost power & died, now it won't re-start

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
  • / last night 721D wouldn't shut-off, today it lost power & died, now it won't re-start
last night 721D wouldn't shut-off, today it lost power & died, now it won't re-start

Title about sums it all up. Never had running/shut off probs before this. Pulled into the garage last night, turned the key to off and it just kept running. I briefly spun the key right to "Start" and then it slowly died. This morning it started fine but acted later on (about 30 mins or so) like it was going to die whenever I made a fast U-turn. After I finished the yard I shut off the PTO and throttled down to drive back up to the house it just died on me, and now it won't re-start. It wouldn't when it was warm and not now after several hours. When I crank it acts like it wants to, but won't catch and fire up completely.

Any suggestions as to what may be going on ??? Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / last night 721D wouldn't shut-off, today it lost power & died, now it won't re-start
Re: last night 721D wouldn't shut-off, today it lost power & died, now it won't re-st

Check to see if you have spark. I'm thinking either a bad key switch or bad coil. If no spark it could be either one as the switch might be grounding out the coil. If you have spark, check to see if the fuel solenoid (if you have one) on the bottom of the carb is properly working. If you turn the key to the run position you should feel and/or hear it click. Let us know what you feel along with the engine and unit model and serial numbers.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Re: last night 721D wouldn't shut-off, today it lost power & died, now it won't re-st

Rivets, Unless I am missing something, the 721D is a Kubota 21 HP diesel.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

You are not missing anything, it's me who missed the D. In that case I would check the two fuel filters, when were they changed last. Lean mixture would occur on U-turns and the non shut down could be lean mixture dieseling. Thanks IL for catching that, been in and out all day, working on Sunday mixes my brain, which some say don't take much. Sorry Jinzo for posting bad info. Time for bed.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads

20877dj.jpg

I must have accidentally bumped the ball joint end of the fuel solenoid cable assembly while I was replacing my alternator belt last week. I popped it back on and TaDa! No problems. D'oh! I feel very stupid! :laughing: