Engine laser z hp drive belt removal?

wills383stroker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys I am new to this site, and looking for help I am trying to remove the drive belt from a 2010 laser z hp. I am not sure how to relieve the tensioner from the drive belt configuration. I can see how the tensioner pulley works, and which way it moves, but removing the belt is not possible. Do I need some kind of specialty tool or do I need to pull the spring off in order to pull the belt off. My goal is just to change the belt. Thanks guys any help would be great

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lawn Care Equipment Experts - Service & Support | Exmark enter necessary information to obtain manual & parts list, sometimes you have to remove idler pulleys in order to replace drive belt. Whereas when replacing deck belt you can pull or push, depending on application, upper idler arm to release tension on belt for removal of old belt & installation of new belt.

I would look in owners manual first, should give detailed instructions for removing & replacing belt.

Last edited:

wills383stroker

Forum Newbie
Threads
so by unbolting the idler pulley it will relieve my tension and then I just put the belt back onto tensioner pulley (once re-installed), and by pulling on the belt I should be able to get enough tension to slide back over the pulley? Because I heard someone else with my same problem used a flat head screwdriver to pull the tensioner spring out all togeather (was not that hard to remove spring he said) so is this ok to do first?
Thanks again for replying to my thread

LoCo86

Threads
Hi guys I am new to this site, and looking for help I am trying to remove the drive belt from a 2010 laser z hp. I am not sure how to relieve the tensioner from the drive belt configuration. I can see how the tensioner pulley works, and which way it moves, but removing the belt is not possible. Do I need some kind of specialty tool or do I need to pull the spring off in order to pull the belt off. My goal is just to change the belt. Thanks guys any help would be great

My guess is you're having trouble getting under the mower to relieve the tension off the pulley with one hand and take the belt off with the other. If that's the case then take a rope and run it through the tensioner arm so that you can keep one hand out from under the mower to pull back the pulley with ease then use your other hand to take the the belt off of the other pulleys. I hope this might help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My guess is you're having trouble getting under the mower to relieve the tension off the pulley with one hand and take the belt off with the other. If that's the case then take a rope and run it through the tensioner arm so that you can keep one hand out from under the mower to pull back the pulley with ease then use your other hand to take the the belt off of the other pulleys. I hope this might help.
Tie the top off at the engine end , loop the rope around the tensioner pulley bolt and pull on the other end that way you get a 2:1 advantage over the spring.
I use a length of No 8 Full hard fence wire ( in plentiful supply around here ) hook on one end other wound twice around a conveniently sized rod. old shovel handle etc etc,
Make it long enough to reach from the pulley to the back of the machine so you can brace your feet against some thing handy then pull on the wire with one hand while you slip the belt over the engine pully with the other.
A similar tool ( different length obviously ) can be made to remove & replace the tensioning spring, deck lift spring or any other spring for that mater.

supertech

Threads
loosen the bolt that holds the idler pulley on the right side at the back of the mower, the bolt hole is slotted,let it slide all the way up. you can then take a 9/16 socket and pull handle hold the tensioner up and then take the idler pulley off with the belt, then reverse procedure to install. Once pulley and belt are on then place pry bar behind idler pulley and pry down and then tighten bolt.