Landscaping Fabric

KnoxvilleLawnCare

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the best landscaping fabric you all have used? And weed control that will not kill plants or grass?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the best landscaping fabric you all have used? And weed control that will not kill plants or grass?
I stapled Scotch/3M landscape fabric to the bottom of my raised garden boxes before filling them with dirt and it worked fantastic. I've heard of(but never tried) a homemade Weed Killer(1 Gallon White Vinegar/2 Cups Epson Salt and 1/4 Cup Blue Dawn Dishwashing Liquid detergent). Would be worth trying.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've decided a while ago I don't use weed fabric when I do installs. It wears down and looks bad after a year or so. I just till the soil under whatever I'm installing rake out the roots. Then ramp and install whatever I'm installing. Tell me customers to use a good preemergent in the spring and use it right weeds won't be an issue. If a couple pop up pull them or spray them.

Besides that it doesn't allow your plants to really deep root and prevents them from acessing water and nutrients below the fabric.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've decided a while ago I don't use weed fabric when I do installs. It wears down and looks bad after a year or so. I just till the soil under whatever I'm installing rake out the roots. Then ramp and install whatever I'm installing. Tell me customers to use a good preemergent in the spring and use it right weeds won't be an issue. If a couple pop up pull them or spray them.

Besides that it doesn't allow your plants to really deep root and prevents them from acessing water and nutrients below the fabric.

Cut holes in the fabric for each plant. That is how it is done...

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
That last comment was towards the raised beds (on the bottom of the raised bed)

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
That last comment was towards the raised beds (on the bottom of the raised bed)

The raised beds are 20" deep(two 1"x10" western Cedar sides). I have three of them and they are approx. 12' X 14' beds. This year I am growing Tomatoes, Okra, Cucumbers, Squash, Red Onions and Yukon Gold potatoes. I haven't encountered any problems over the years indicating that any of the vegetables that I've grown were "root bound" and all have produced well. But yeah, if you built beds a couple of landscape timbers high it you would have problems and would have to "cut holes" as mentioned by user Lawnboy18. I was just answering the question about some quality landscaping fabric that I had experience with:0)