LA 145 SUDDENLY WON'T FIRE

Threads
MY JD 145 SUDDENLY WON'T FIRE. TURNS OVER GREAT, BUT NO FIRE. TRIED STARTER FLUID AND STILL NO FIRE. RECENTLY CHANED PLUGS ALT. & STARTER. PLEASE HELP! THIS IS THE SAME MOWER THAT I GOT MY WIFE BACK ON AFTER YOU GUYS SOLVED THE VIBRATION PROBLEM. SHE IS THREATING TO GO BUY HER A NEW MOWER IF I DON'T GET IT FIXED THIS TIME!!!:thumbdown:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Locate the ignition coil, under the flywheel cover, there should be a black kill wire on it, disconnect it, then try to start it. No fire, then more than likely you need a new coil.

D

Deleted member 97405

Locate the ignition coil, under the flywheel cover, there should be a black kill wire on it, disconnect it, then try to start it. No fire, then more than likely you need a new coil.

This is a twin cylinder engine. Highly unlikely that both coils went at the same time. I would definitely be suspicious of an issue in the stop wire circuit as Scrubcadet10 said.
Take the top engine cover off and make sure mice didnt chew the wires.
When you say you changed the alternator, I'm assuming you changed the voltage regulator on the side of the engine and not the stator coil under the flywheel?
I'm only asking because if you had the flywheel off, double check that the flywheel key is in position as this will affect ignition timing.
As long as you have a good charged up battery, the coils should fire.

Threads
GENTLEMEN - I JUST RETIRED SO MAYBE BEFORE I DIE I'LL GET AS SMART AS YOU GUYS. WILL 1988 YOU ARE CORRECT IN THE PART I REPLACED. HERE'S THE DEAL...I PULLED THE KILL WIRES FROM BOTH COILS AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP AND SOUNDED NORMAL. HOWEVER, I HAD TO CHOKE IT TO SHUT IT DOWN. OK YOU GOT ME RUNNING...NOW WHAT???

THANKS,

CHARLES, BLOSSOM, TX.

D

Deleted member 97405

GENTLEMEN - I JUST RETIRED SO MAYBE BEFORE I DIE I'LL GET AS SMART AS YOU GUYS. WILL 1988 YOU ARE CORRECT IN THE PART I REPLACED. HERE'S THE DEAL...I PULLED THE KILL WIRES FROM BOTH COILS AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP AND SOUNDED NORMAL. HOWEVER, I HAD TO CHOKE IT TO SHUT IT DOWN. OK YOU GOT ME RUNNING...NOW WHAT???

THANKS,

CHARLES, BLOSSOM, TX.

So your issue is in the stop wire circuit. Set your parking brake, make sure the PTO is off, and turn the keyswitch to the run position. Check that wire while it is still disconnected from the coils. Make sure it isn't grounded when the keyswitch is on. If it still shows connected to ground, then the wire is shorted somewhere or a switch isn't working correctly. Start by disconnecting the main engine harness connector, then retest the wire. If it is still grounded, then the problem is from that connector forward. Keep working back the harness by unplugging switches and checking connections until the wire isn't grounded anymore. The keyswitches were known to be problematic on these models.

FYI, with the stop wires disconnected, the keyswitch will still turn off the fuel solenoid. (that is the 'click' you hear when you turn the key on) The engine won't turn off right away, but will turn off after a few seconds once it burns the fuel out of the intake.

Threads
HEY WILL 1988, THANKS FOR GETTING BACK SO QUICK. I AM ON THE WAY BACK TO THE SHOP TO START TESTING. I'LL CHECK BACK.

THANKS,

CHARLES,
BLOSSOM,TX.