Export thread

LA 115 deck belt guides

C

CajunMan89

Mine has plastic deck belt guides, and the pulleys keep cutting through them until I eventually have to replace them. Is this normal? If not, what can I do to fix this? It's been doing this since it was brand new, so I'm sure it's not a maintenance issue.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

BlazNT

BlazNT

Belt guides should not be touching the pullies. If they are then a problem with mounting needs to be taken care of. Like spacers or something.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I have looked through your parts diagram. I find nothing except for steel belt guides. What are you calling a belt guide that is plastic?

C

CajunMan89

I have looked through your parts diagram. I find nothing except for steel belt guides. What are you calling a belt guide that is plastic?

These:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...-rh-belt-cover-gy21773-13135.jpg&action=click

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

I am thinking wrong covers or belt is on wrong. I doubt the belt is on wrong if it's cutting right.

Most Deeres I have worked on only have 1 cover on the deck ~!~!

Hope this helps Mon Ami ~!~!

BlazNT

BlazNT

That is a pulley guard. I thought that was what you were talking about but I had to make sure. Is it possible to open them up a little when installing them? Also they are not nessary. It is a John Deere will not get sued if these are installed. I run my mower without them. All they do on my mower is collect grass. This should go without saying but if you remove them make sure the blades are not moving before you dismount your mower.

C

CajunMan89

That is a pulley guard. I thought that was what you were talking about but I had to make sure. Is it possible to open them up a little when installing them? Also they are not nessary. It is a John Deere will not get sued if these are installed. I run my mower without them. All they do on my mower is collect grass. This should go without saying but if you remove them make sure the blades are not moving before you dismount your mower.

The plastic is not that flexible. I've tried cutting without them...the belt slips right off. I've seen others with metal guides, but this one only has these. There's nothing else there to keep the belt on.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Well this is a first for me. I have no idea what the problem. Hope someone else has seen this and will chime in.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Some one put a extra one on by mistake they only come with 1 on the deck and it's on the left side or I should say drivers side .

The belt will come off if you take off the cover/guard. Where are you located Cajun Man ??

C

CajunMan89

Some one put a extra one on by mistake they only come with 1 on the deck and it's on the left side or I should say drivers side .

The belt will come off if you take off the cover/guard. Where are you located Cajun Man ??

Odd...the guards are different. One has two bolts, the other has three. My owners manual (OMGX23404 19) on page 33, has an illustration of the deck, labeled MX25906, and it has a guard on both sides.

I'm in Lake Charles.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

I stand corrected I see 2 belt guards every where I look on the web and your manual. Something is pas bon with the idler
pulley causing the belt to be out of alignment ~!~!

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

If you can take a pic so we can see the arrangement that would help

C

CajunMan89

If you can take a pic so we can see the arrangement that would help

Mais, that's not good! The bearings are still good, so I wouldn't know what else to do if it's an alignment issue...I'm not much of a mechanic, but I do surprise myself sometime!

I'll post a picture in the morning.

So, you're in the Big E?

F

Fragger

:banana:mains i aint never seen that:confused2: !! hurry up with that pic

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Yep in Eunice not far from you Mon Ami ~!~!

If you listen to KBON 101.1 FM and tune in on Thursday nights you can hear me and Todd doing the swamp and roll show.

B

Bill95

I have seen this a lot, some other models have those covers and where the belt chews into it there is a steel pin encased in the plastic that you only see once its worn or if you look on the underside you can see the end of the pin. if you can figure out which one would fit on your deck if one is compatible then it wont chew through the plastic the steel will stop it, those covers seem to act as belt guides.
Anyways there like 10$ each in Canada they are pretty cheap so i just replace them.

C

CajunMan89

Yep in Eunice not far from you Mon Ami ~!~!

If you listen to KBON 101.1 FM and tune in on Thursday nights you can hear me and Todd doing the swamp and roll show.

Sure do! A lot of my family are in Eunice. My Parrain had Olivier's Pawn Shop years ago. My deceased dad was a musician and played steel guitar with the late great Phil Menard and many others.

Anyways...here are the pics. I took a few to see how it's only cutting through one guard.P1020142.jpgP1020143.jpgP1020144.jpgP1020145.jpgP1020146.jpg

B

Bill95

Also on my mower that this was doing that I had tightened the bolt down too tight or too fast and it twisted the cover and pushed it in too close to the belt. So I tightened it nice and slow with some grease on the plastic to lube the bolt so it wouldn't grip the plastic while pushing it out from the inside and that helped keep it away from the pulley, but those covers are considered sacrificial.

BlazNT

BlazNT

That is a poor design indead.

C

CajunMan89

That is a poor design indead.

I agree! Some things plastic should not be used for!

C

ccl088

It does that when you release the PTO lever and the belt flops around for a few seconds and eventually wears thru.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Bill and CC are correct. I have never seen it happen cause I have not seen a guard on the right side of the deck.

I just got on here had to make 2 house calls and go to my buddy's machine shop to use his mill to take a broken bolt out.

C

CajunMan89

I adjusted the breaks so that the belt only turns for about a second after the blades are turned off, not long after I bought it. Is it just gonna be one of those things where I'll have to replace the guards every so often?