L120 pto question

Pineapple

Threads
I have an L 120 w/ 48" deck. While mowing, the blades disengaged and I couldn't get them to engage. Pulled into the garage and grabbed the JD tech manual to trouble shoot. Grabbed my Fluke meter. The switches met the resistance and continuity specs but was missing voltage at one of the pins on the key switch (manual says replace). I replaced both the key and the pto switches. Still NO GO :frown: I hooked the pto directly to the battery and it clunks so I assume it's working. I googled a blowup drawing of the pto to hopefully understand how it worked internally...no luck. Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Thanx. AB

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have seen clutches on the L130 short out, and it blows the PTO switch like a fuse.

Pineapple

Threads
Thanks ILENGINE for quick reply. When I hooked up meter to pto per manual instructions it gave me a reading of 3.7 ohms and infinity (2nd test) which puts it in spec electrically. Is there something mechanical inside the pto housing that may be jammed? I'm trying to avoid throwing parts & dollars at this problem but would/will gladly order new pto if that's the problem. Signing off for the evening (gotta be at work at 3am) Thanx AB

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you can rehook the clutch to a good charged battery, but this time connect a amp meter between the clutch and one lead of the battery, and let in stay engaged for 15-45 minutes and see if the amp draw goes up. You start out about 3-4 amp but if it gets up around 10 could damage the pto switch.

Are you getting 12 V to the clutch from the clutch leads on the mower, where the clutch plugs in.

mullins87

Threads
My LA175 has a habit of pulling the wires loose at the clutch, in fact it did it tonight while I was mowing. Could that be the problem?

Pineapple

Threads
Phew! Just finished mowing 2 acres w/ 22" push mower. I did wire the pto directly to the battery (fully charged) through a toggle and still NO GO:frown:......guess it's replacement time. Mullins87-the bracket that keeps the pto from spinning broke a few years ago and wound the wires around the shaft.....had some splicing to do!

Thanks for the responses. AB

mullins87

Threads
Those brackets are entirely too flimsy, I keep waiting for mine to break. The next time my wires decide to pull out for no reason, I'm going to rewire and add a few inches of slack. Maybe you can find a salvage or aftermarket clutch, I'd hate to see what the JD part will cost.

pile81

Threads
Bearing in it could be locked up........also if the clutch shorts out it takes out the switch as well....