Export thread

L120 automatic won't start

C

Cody413

Hi I have the l120. 2012. With the 20 hp Intek twin . It won't start. I got it for free and it is in great shape. Guy said it starts with starting fluid. Which I know is bad for it. I tried it with gas got it running and ran fine. Cut my lawn no issues until I shut it off and try again. I pulled the hose going to the carb and gass comes out. Spark plugs are black. What do you think. And also the selinoid also clicks when I turn key on. Thanks. Glad to be a member

M

Mikel1

So are the plugs fouled out?
Carb flooding?
I would check battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight, at solenoid also. Might also need to load test battery if no change.

C

Cody413

So are the plugs fouled out?
Carb flooding?
I would check battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight, at solenoid also. Might also need to load test battery if no change.

The plugs are fouled. And if it will run and have no issues once running. Shouldn't the carb be ok ? Its only to get it started it dowant want to. Once running. It runs great. And the battery seems to be charged. Lights are bright and It a a strong cranking. Thanks for reply

bakerg

bakerg

OK, let get this straight, you turn the key and it cranks over but will not start until you pour gas into the carb. Once you do that the engine fires and runs until you turn the key off but then will not start again until you pour more gas into the carb. Is this correct to what I'm understanding??

C

Cody413

That is exactly what happens.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Sounds like the fuel pump isn't holding pressure when you shut the engine off.

I

ILENGINE

Is the choke closing all the way. If it isn't it will be hard to start cold. Now if you have to prime the carb with carb even when warm then we have another issue.

M

Mikel1

You must have been referring to the fuel solenoid and not starter solenoid.
I was going to also say to check the choke, Ilengine has replied with it. Back to work to make a dollar.

C

Cody413

I tried choking it too. It moves on the carb. But also wouldn't start.

C

Cody413

So I ordered a fuel pump. And we will see. And it also Won't start even after mowing my lawn and warmed up. I just don't get why it'll run but not start. What can we rule out. Carb since it runs and idles fine ? Spark ? Has to be getting fuel once it's running cause it doesn't die or sputter? Thanks for all the help.

B

bertsmobile1

How fast does it spin when you crank it ?
Try starting with one plug removed then the same with the other plug removed.
There are a couple of prime suspects. in no particular order.
Blocked air filter.
incorrect valve lash
low fuel level in float bowl
Excessive plug gap
non functional choke check this by pulling the choke on at the carb while the engine is running, If it 8 strokes or blows black smoke then choke is working.
Air leakage
blocked idle jet in cab.

C

Cody413

Ok guys and gals. I took the plugs out got spark. Checked the hose going to carb. Gas pumped good. Took air filter off and seen a hose that comes from engine to the filter housing that wasn't connected. So I put back in. And it still wouldn't start.

So I got it running with gas in filter. Choked it out when at idle. Nothing changed. Rev'd it up and it started sputtering like any engine chokes out sounds. Started to have Lil black smoke. So I shut it off and tried it and it started. Not as quick as it should of but it did. So I ran it again doing the same thing with choke and repeated. It started. Idk if the choke was messed up or not but so far so good. I'll give it a Lil while and see if it'll start or not. I'll keep posted

reynoldston

reynoldston

The fuel pump has a one way valve in it, This valve holds fuel pressure to the carburetor when you turn the engine off so it starts easy the next time you start it. I have seen it where some dirt gets stuck in this one way valve and the engine will be hard to start after you turn it off. You are saying it runs just fine after it dose start is the reason I suggested the fuel pump not hold pressure.

C

Cody413

So my mower has been starting but not as good as it was. It will crank for a couple times with choke on and wont start unless I rev it 1/4 way up. It will rum but takes a min to stop sputtering