Repairs L 110 hydrostatic tranny

lotawana roc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deer L 110 that only has 41hrs on it. The other day while mowing it seemed like the foot pedal stopped going all the way forward and I now only have about a 1/3 of the speed it did. I have checked the rod and linkage from the foot back to the tranny and nothing seems to be blocking it.it was working fine and reverse still does? I've been doing my research and have found out that they have had a lot of problems with the hydrostatic transmission. The mower sat for about 3 years so when I got it out last year I put about $700 in it including the bagging attachment so Im stuck with it, and its almost brand new anyway. A new tranny is about $550 and 4hrs to change. There is a possibility a trans oil change could fix but that's a big job as well. Anyone know of something I missing? It seems to me that a transmission wouldn't go after only 40 easy hours? Hints? Advice? Anything, before I pull tear into this?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to these Forums....
Changing hydro fluid is not as easy as changing engine oil... but it is not an impossible task to undertake. Contaminants in the hydro oil can go far to destroying function... Water is among the worst, setting around with no use May have allowed condensation to build up...
Look back to older posts, it has been covered for almost every mower make.... :smile:KennyV

lotawana roc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanx for replying Kenny. I know dropping that tran to replace or even just to change or add fluid is going to ruin a Sat morning that's why I was hoping to avoid it. Because of the way that foot pedal only moves about 2 inches my gut tells me its not the tran? Im by no ways a JD repairman but pretty mechanical savvy. Is that something normal with those hydro trans? It just feels like I might of bent or jammed something? Also the bar code sticker on the trans says TUFF TORQ 46V-0232327, Im assuming that's the K46 model?