Export thread

Kubota Kommander

H

hcarson

Hello. I am searching for a new zero turn mower for this coming summer and have been looking at the new Kubota Kommander ZG100 series. Specifically, I have been eyeing the ZG124E model due to my budget; it is priced at $4500 and is the cheapest in the series. Anyone have any experience with this series and/or model? I'm a bit concerned since it's a brand new model; however, I trust that it's the same quality build as all Kubota products. My local Kubota dealer also sells Toro which I've considered too but they're a bit more expensive. Oh yeah, I mow about 2.5 acres. Thanks for your comments!

K

KubotaJohn

For the price and what they are meant for they are perfect... I work at a Kubota dealership and while we deal in Scag, Dixie Chopper, and Gravely.
I wouldn't recommend this for a commercial application because afterall it is belt driven rather than shaft driven, which is why we were able to reduce the price point so much... If you have any questions for want some information just PM me.

H

hcarson

For the price and what they are meant for they are perfect... I work at a Kubota dealership and while we deal in Scag, Dixie Chopper, and Gravely.
I wouldn't recommend this for a commercial application because afterall it is belt driven rather than shaft driven, which is why we were able to reduce the price point so much... If you have any questions for want some information just PM me.

Thanks for the feedback KubotaJohn! I haven't pulled the trigger on buying the new mower, but still eyeing the Kommander. I am just a homeowner looking for a good product that will last me a LONG time....there will be no commercial use here. How do you feel about B&S Pro engine vs. the Kohler (which is installed on the S models)? As mentioned in my original email, I'm planning on purchasing the 124E-48 due to price. I can't really afford the S models, but hope the 124E will be just as good without all the bells and whistles. Any thoughts on this?

K

KubotaJohn

Thanks for the feedback KubotaJohn! I haven't pulled the trigger on buying the new mower, but still eyeing the Kommander. I am just a homeowner looking for a good product that will last me a LONG time....there will be no commercial use here. How do you feel about B&S Pro engine vs. the Kohler (which is installed on the S models)? As mentioned in my original email, I'm planning on purchasing the 124E-48 due to price. I can't really afford the S models, but hope the 124E will be just as good without all the bells and whistles. Any thoughts on this?

Well to be honest with you, I feel the B&S vs. Kohler is about like Chevy vs. Ford. It's all in preference. But, with that being said, the Kommander comes with a 4 year 300 hour warranty. This warranty includes powertrain and in the unfortunate event if you were to ever have an engine issue, Kubota does the warranty. You do not have to find a B&S dealer or Kohler dealer.

I do believe in a residential environment, this mower will last a long time. I demoed one around our lot mowing recently and enjoyed it, it's not bulky like a commercial mower.

To be honest, the E model only lacks the LED lights and I believe the suspension seat which really isn't a big deal for residential mowing...

I did some digging with my Rep and found that the Kohler and B&S are not available on the open market, these engines were designed and specced just for the Kommander.

4wheelin

Hcarson, have you bought yet? I've been looking at the Kommander as well and wondered how you liked it.

R

Rivets

I also work for a Kubota dealer and would echo what KubotaJohn says. The upgraded warranty has impressed our customers so much, that we have sold two with two feet of snow on the ground.

C

csm2623

I am looking at a Kammander also, how will it handle some hilly turf, slopes near the road, slight down back and around the house.
Mowing about 2.5 acres.
Thx.

D

Duckman

In the FWIW category

I have purchased a 124S-54.

I have posted this kind of before on another part of this forum..

A couple things, before you buy it...make sure you get BOTH recalls done AND DO NOT BUY the "lift assist" option.

The "lift assist" can not be adjusted properly and seems to be an after thought. No mater how it is adjusted, either it does not give you any assist OR once the deck is lifted you cant release it.

That being said...I love the mower, no special order
  • The dampened control handles
  • The simple deck height adjustment-as easy as my old LX188
  • The SEAT on the "S" model is super nice
  • The thing just looks great
  • I like the simplicity of the deck lift moving parts AND the deck seems to be bullit proof
  • It seems to have easy maintenance
  • I like the configuration of the belt drive...much better than my LX188
  • The warranty
  • It seems to have a nice low center of gravity

Stay safe,

Mike

S

SCMCG

In the FWIW category

A couple things, before you buy it...make sure you get BOTH recalls done AND DO NOT BUY the "lift assist" option.

The "lift assist" can not be adjusted properly and seems to be an after thought. No mater how it is adjusted, either it does not give you any assist OR once the deck is lifted you cant release it.

• I like the simplicity of the deck lift moving parts AND the deck seems to be bullit proof
  • The warranty

Stay safe,

Mike
I am interested in this mower as well. What is this "belt drive" you speak about? I will use on residential-about 2.5-3 acres however it is very rough and has lotsa ridges and humps with about 20% some kinda slope up to about 15 degrees. I am looking at Gravely and Country Clipper as well. How much can I expect to spend on this Kommander with suspension seat and a 52/54" deck?

S

SCMCG

Nevermind on the belt drive I figured it out LOL. I really like this mower. Only drawbacks I can see are the way the anti-scalp wheels are not as solidly mounted, the floor pan doesn't appear to flip up for access to clean the belt area, and I would perfer a Kawie engine. Other than those trivial things I really like this machine. Can't wait to try one out if it would ever quit snowing here in Iowa.

D

Duckman

SCM...

I mow about 2 acres and the bulk is flat but dumpy and in some areas nice & bumpy...but overall semi smooth. I have no problems, I do slow down over the worst areas as you would expect. I'm still impressed with the amount of power it has, even at full speed it has a great cut.

As far as the Kawie...I am fan also but that was from a 15 year old JD, THAT Kawie will probably out last the Kawies being built now. Just my thought, I'm not sure if you can compare the the old ones to today's.

Just a side note the "kits" for the latest update are in. Mine is being pick up tomorrow for installation.

If you any other questions feel free to PM me.

Sate safe,
Mike

S

SCMCG

SCM...

I mow about 2 acres and the bulk is flat but dumpy and in some areas nice & bumpy...but overall semi smooth. I have no problems, I do slow down over the worst areas as you would expect. I'm still impressed with the amount of power it has, even at full speed it has a great cut.

As far as the Kawie...I am fan also but that was from a 15 year old JD, THAT Kawie will probably out last the Kawies being built now. Just my thought, I'm not sure if you can compare the the old ones to today's.

Just a side note the "kits" for the latest update are in. Mine is being pick up tomorrow for installation.

If you any other questions feel free to PM me.

Sate safe,
Mike

Thanks! I hope to go che3ck one out next week if the weather straightens out. I will holler when i have a question.

Kzilla

Kzilla

I have the Kubota zg123s. That's the 48" deck. I paid an extra $500 for Kohler 23hp instead of the Briggs. It's quick and powerful. Good seat and the lights are nice. 47 hrs. I've had a couple of problems. At 30 hrs the starter locked up. The dealer fixed it immediately, good to go. The one true flaw that I have found is in the design of the front wheel assemblies. I run the front wheel in a hole while mowing at a fast speed. Wheel and fork broke off. Maybe 3/4" diameter steel pin. The pin is welded to the fork at the very bottom only. Needs two welds. Checked with dealer about coverage, he's checking on it for me and two other people. The drive pulleys underneath the motor could use a guard of some sort. I backed into a tree limb and damaged the blade belt. $123. Checking on coverage. Mine works hard every weekend, I think that it's at the top for that level mower along with hustler. The deck mounts and system seem to be more rugged than other brands and I think a more level cut. That's all I got..

K

kywildcatfan

Just purchased the ZG127-S, and can say that it is a mowing machine (for me at least). the ride is incredible and the power of the 27hp engine is great. They are litterly no clippings left on my yard. I purchased this mower out of state in Illinoise. Every where in KY had them priced at $5799. I got mine on a steal, i thought for $5400!! So far i am really pleased with the mower. hopefully this mower will last me several years.

D

Duckman

Just purchased the ZG127-S, and can say that it is a mowing machine (for me at least). the ride is incredible and the power of the 27hp engine is great. They are litterly no clippings left on my yard. I purchased this mower out of state in Illinoise. Every where in KY had them priced at $5799. I got mine on a steal, i thought for $5400!! So far i am really pleased with the mower. hopefully this mower will last me several years.

Welcome KWCF...

tumblr_m17oxv67WC1roejvzo1_400.gif

Mowing MACHINE is correct...I love the cut also.... 1800rpms will do a number. I wouldn't of bought mine if I did not think it would last a while. I believe if I keep up with the maintenance it will be fine.

I paid 5499 with a 54" deck.

Keep us informed...stay safe.

Mike

B

BHM

What are the two recalls? I know one is for the tank.

My old Gravley outfront died last Monday. I just finished cutting and was pulling it up to park it and the hydro died. I am cutting about three acres with it but that will be sold by next spring. My new home is only 1.5 acres which I currently cut with a Home Depot Cub Cadet. I am going this week to hopefully pick up a new 127s-54 if they have them in stock. They did not have any Kommanders in stock last week.

Having never even seen one much less sat on one, if the suspension seat that much better or would I be just as good saving some money and getting an e model? Does anybody know how hard it is to remove the deck for cleaning/blade sharpening?

D

Duckman

The big one was the fuel tank...any Komander that is being sold now will be up to date. I would have no worry about what you are getting.

I hope you find one...if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Mike

B

BHM

The big one was the fuel tank...any Komander that is being sold now will be up to date. I would have no worry about what you are getting.

I hope you find one...if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Mike

Thanks Mike. It took me a while to convince the wife that getting a good machine is worth the money so the last thing I need is for it to be in the shop for a recall. I probably will not have time to stop at the dealer on Monday but I will call and see what he has available.

G

Goddahavit

I have the Kubota zg123s. That's the 48" deck. I paid an extra $500 for Kohler 23hp instead of the Briggs. It's quick and powerful. Good seat and the lights are nice. 47 hrs. I've had a couple of problems. At 30 hrs the starter locked up. The dealer fixed it immediately, good to go. The one true flaw that I have found is in the design of the front wheel assemblies. I run the front wheel in a hole while mowing at a fast speed. Wheel and fork broke off. Maybe 3/4" diameter steel pin. The pin is welded to the fork at the very bottom only. Needs two welds. Checked with dealer about coverage, he's checking on it for me and two other people. The drive pulleys underneath the motor could use a guard of some sort. I backed into a tree limb and damaged the blade belt. $123. Checking on coverage. Mine works hard every weekend, I think that it's at the top for that level mower along with hustler. The deck mounts and system seem to be more rugged than other brands and I think a more level cut. That's all I got..

How did you make out with this broken wheel? so 3 people in your area broke wheels I wonder how many are having this happen?

T

The Alchemist

I bought my ZG124 back in May or June and I've had great luck with it. I stayed with a 48" deck due to the opening of my shed and gate for the backyard, plus I'm under an acre in size, so a ZT with a 48" deck is overkill to begin with.

I love the quality of cut that it offers. Even after being away for 10 days on vacation, and mowing over 3" of growth, I didn't have any clumping, even with slightly damp grass. That impressed me.

At the time I purchased it, I didn't think the lights were necessary, but as fall is approaching, I can see the benefit in them, so I'll probably order up the kit. On my old John Deere, I had switched my blades to a set of Gatorblades. Unfortunately, I contacted Gatorblades and they don't make a set of the Kubota's with a 48" deck yet. I'm not sure I want to go full mulching, but I'd like to get a set of mulching blades.

As for a couple comments I've read about not having an access panel for the belt/spindles, it's only 4 bolts to remove the panel, that's less than a minute worth of work, and I'm happy they did that as it's more secure.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I bought my ZG124 back in May or June and I've had great luck with it. I stayed with a 48" deck due to the opening of my shed and gate for the backyard, plus I'm under an acre in size, so a ZT with a 48" deck is overkill to begin with.

I love the quality of cut that it offers. Even after being away for 10 days on vacation, and mowing over 3" of growth, I didn't have any clumping, even with slightly damp grass. That impressed me.

At the time I purchased it, I didn't think the lights were necessary, but as fall is approaching, I can see the benefit in them, so I'll probably order up the kit. On my old John Deere, I had switched my blades to a set of Gatorblades. Unfortunately, I contacted Gatorblades and they don't make a set of the Kubota's with a 48" deck yet. I'm not sure I want to go full mulching, but I'd like to get a set of mulching blades.

As for a couple comments I've read about not having an access panel for the belt/spindles, it's only 4 bolts to remove the panel, that's less than a minute worth of work, and I'm happy they did that as it's more secure.

Sounds like you really like your Kommander!

PVHIII

PVHIII

I know this is an old post but I had to laugh at your shaft vs. belt driven comment...most ZTR's commercial and residential are belt driven and that's not the reason you market this as a residential model...I would say it's because of those weak deck mounting brackets and that residential Kohler couragelsss engine... and that shaft driven option ain't all it's made out to b...I've heard several complaints... just sayin that shaft driven comment you made is very misleading

PVHIII

PVHIII

I know this is an old post but I had to laugh at your shaft vs. belt driven comment...most ZTR's commercial and residential are belt driven and that's not the reason you market this as a residential model...I would say it's because of those weak deck mounting brackets and that residential Kohler couragelsss engine... and that shaft driven option ain't all it's made out to b...I've heard several complaints... just sayin that shaft driven comment you made is very misleading

It may have helped you reduce the price some more but theres other way More important reasons why this model is sold at a cheap price.. I will say Kubota sales the best lookin ZTR's but when it comes to mowers looks are of little later importance

T

The Alchemist

It may have helped you reduce the price some more but theres other way More important reasons why this model is sold at a cheap price.. I will say Kubota sales the best lookin ZTR's but when it comes to mowers looks are of little later importance

For me, I was looking for a residential/commercial hybrid for my 2/3 acre. I wanted the quality cut and ease of use that the commercial ZT's offered, but didn't want to spend $6-10k on one. I looked at Hustlers, Gravelys, even Exmarks as well as the Kubota. In the end, I liked the controls and 'feel' of the Kubota over the others and felt my dollar went further. I put 35 hours on it since I got it in May, and am very happy.

midnite rider

midnite rider

After so much discussion thought some might like to see it. For those who have never seen one. Here is a couple 2013 S models.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

jay stortini

jay stortini

What about mulch kit? Should I or shouldn't i?

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

T

The Alchemist

What about mulch kit? Should I or shouldn't i?

I'm also interested in the mulch kit. Any feedback on the quality of it and pricing?

jekjr

jekjr

I'm also interested in the mulch kit. Any feedback on the quality of it and pricing?

Not sure if this is any help or not but I have a ZG 222 that we put a mulch kit under every winter. It does a great job. We run the mower commercially without it in the summertime. If memory serves me correctly we paid in the $200 range for the kit.

R

RustyBoy

Hello,
Since you work at a dealer that sells Kubota and Gravely, how would you compare the Kommander with the Gravely XT HD???? I see that the Kommander has cast aluminum spindles versus cast iron and uses a different engine.

S

st1300

I am looking at a Kammander also, how will it handle some hilly turf, slopes near the road, slight down back and around the house.
Mowing about 2.5 acres.
Thx.
It handles the hills better then my old conventional riding mower more stable going up and down and sideways get the suspension seat it's amazing

V

venables

I am looking at the Kommander 54". My property slopes up from road. I have 4.5 acres in grass/hay/weed mix, with 2 long fields in front of house and sloped field behind. Gradual slopes, even surfaces. No hazards (ie no ponds, drop off etc). Cut now with Craftsman 21HP lawn tractor but takes so long. Just concered about ZTR stability on slopes as forums offer mixed messages. Thoughts?

Ragnar4841

Ragnar4841

I am looking at the Kommander 54". My property slopes up from road. I have 4.5 acres in grass/hay/weed mix, with 2 long fields in front of house and sloped field behind. Gradual slopes, even surfaces. No hazards (ie no ponds, drop off etc). Cut now with Craftsman 21HP lawn tractor but takes so long. Just concered about ZTR stability on slopes as forums offer mixed messages. Thoughts?

I believe any ZT will have its struggles with slopes. If they are gradual & without obstacles you should be fine as long as its dry. With the Kubota you get a standard ROPS and if you don't have any small, decorative trees in those fields then it should serve you well (I took the ROPS off mine as it presented a hazard around dogwood trees).

I can't imagine how long it takes you to do 4.5 acres with little Craftsman tractor. My guess is the 54" Kommander will cut that time down to 1/4 or 1/3 of what it takes you now.

V

venables

I believe any ZT will have its struggles with slopes. If they are gradual & without obstacles you should be fine as long as its dry. With the Kubota you get a standard ROPS and if you don't have any small, decorative trees in those fields then it should serve you well (I took the ROPS off mine as it presented a hazard around dogwood trees).

I can't imagine how long it takes you to do 4.5 acres with little Craftsman tractor. My guess is the 54" Kommander will cut that time down to 1/4 or 1/3 of what it takes you now.

Thanks for your reply. I actually had the dealer demo the 48" at my house few weeks back. Had rained earlier that morning so had few issues near top of slope but nothing to nasty. I drove it but need more time on it. Cut through 6" grass was impressive. Bottom line: bought the 54" and expect delivery next week. Will keep the Craftsman until comfortable on ZT.

C

Chickasha385

Where do I start? Bottom line - up front. If you haven't bought it -Don't! Have had mine two months and it has spent most of that time in the shop. Springs, idler arm, transverse axle, belt problems. Keep away from the Kubota ZG124E. I may have gotten the only lemon in the box, but I am about to hand the ting back to Kubota and tell them adios.

jekjr

jekjr

Where do I start? Bottom line - up front. If you haven't bought it -Don't! Have had mine two months and it has spent most of that time in the shop. Springs, idler arm, transverse axle, belt problems. Keep away from the Kubota ZG124E. I may have gotten the only lemon in the box, but I am about to hand the ting back to Kubota and tell them adios.

I have never heard of anybody having that many problems with a Kubota. That is incredible in a bad way.

We run a ZG222 and. ZD326. They have been run brutally and keep ticking. We just changed a deck belt on the 326 last week and it made 340 hard hours.

Ragnar4841

Ragnar4841

Wow, sorry to hear that! I have the same exact model and I've not had any of the issues you've described. Sounds like you've got yourself a lemon there--don't blame you in wanting to hand it back to them given your experience.

C

Chickasha385

The reason I bought the 124 was because I have had a Kubota L2800 for the last 5 years and have had zero problems with it. Use it for dragging pasture, moving round bales, brush hogging, spraying , etc. The better half wanted a new mower. What better than another Kubota? Wrong!. Hopefully it will be out of the shop (again) tomorrow. We will see what happens.

V

vg92

In the FWIW category

• The warranty

Stay safe,

Mike

Just bought a 123S yesterday and will be delivered later this week as it hasn't been assembled. Duckman said there are two recalls but only one is listed on Kubota's webpage related to pressure relief valve. I know mine is not affected with that issue since the serial number is 15xxx. So what's the other recall for? Would definitely like dealer to take care of it before delivery.

V

vg92

Dealer asked for $300 to have the mulching kit installed. Has anyone bought it from somewhere else? I looked on Messick's but didn't see the part number for the entire kit. From Kubota's parts diagram it shows 7 sets of bolts & nuts to install to the deck along with 3 mulching blades.

M

MiKubota

Just bought a 123S yesterday and will be delivered later this week as it hasn't been assembled. Duckman said there are two recalls but only one is listed on Kubota's webpage related to pressure relief valve. I know mine is not affected with that issue since the serial number is 15xxx. So what's the other recall for? Would definitely like dealer to take care of it before delivery.

@vg92 - My dealer said the last recall was related to the parking brake. That was the only safety campaign work that had to be done to my 123S, that I picked up yesterday. There was another related to a spring, according to my dealer.

V

vg92

@vg92 - My dealer said the last recall was related to the parking brake. That was the only safety campaign work that had to be done to my 123S, that I picked up yesterday. There was another related to a spring, according to my dealer.

Thanks MiKubota and congrats to your new mower! I will call the manufacturer tomorrow to determine which recalls still apply to mine.

T

toltingcoltacres

I bought a ZG124E last week. It is awesome. Everyone who drives by gives me a thumbs up and tells me what an impressive-looking machine it is.

Unfortunately, I've yet to cut a blade of grass with it.

Dealer delivered it off the truck Friday at 1pm, girlfriend took delivery, Dealer drove it off trailer into garage. I got home at 4pm, attempted to start it, and starter just spun, never engaged the flywheel on the motor.

Dealer came today while I was out running errands to service unit. Replaced Starter, 0.4 hours. Briggs n Stratton. Should have known better. Kicking myself in the ***, but I gotta live with it now. Left me a note unit was ready to go.

Unit now starts. But, I can't get the deck to lower. Press the pedal in all the way, adjust height, release pedal... deck returns to original (not lowered) height... as if there's some type of lock or interlock in place preventing it from lowering.

Assumed there is a shipping setting to keep the deck from lowering and getting damaged.. Looked in manual, can't find anything. Can't see anything underneath either preventing the deck from lowering.

Tomorrow I guess I'll pull the deck off and check the linkage to see what I'm missing. Otherwise, it'll be another call to the dealer Tuesday, since its now a holiday weekend and I won't be mowing.

Bought this to replace a 15 year old Craftsman garden tractor that was requiring service every year.

Not impressed.

D

Duckman

I'm thinking you got the lift assist.... That thing has to be adjusted properly, that is a dealer thing. Happen to me too, they re-adjusted it and got better as it got broke in.

That ring you see on the cylinder, moving it a little goes along way. If it was me I'd be disappointed too.

T

toltingcoltacres

I'm thinking you got the lift assist.... That thing has to be adjusted properly, that is a dealer thing. Happen to me too, they re-adjusted it and got better as it got broke in.

That ring you see on the cylinder, moving it a little goes along way. If it was me I'd be disappointed too.

The model I have does include the lift assist. I don't see an adjustable ring on the silver cylinder, though.

The deck acts as if it's being manually held up by a pin or lock of some sort. Only thing I can do tomorrow is to drop the deck by hand by pulling the 4 pins, and then look up underneath to see if I can figure out what's preventing it from coming down.

Googled around, I see the lift assist is a kit with an instruction sheet... No instructions about it in my packet from the dealer, though.

D

Duckman

This is what mine looks like....that wide band you see is what you have to loosen and that piston needs to be moved. I am not sure which way you need to go, but a little goes a long way. You can see on the cylinder were they slid it.

I don't have a scanner here at home or I'd email you my directions.

You may not like this suggestion, but if you want to lower your deck...slam, yes I said slam your foot down, I bet that will releases it.

HTH's

Attachments

T

toltingcoltacres

You may not like this suggestion, but if you want to lower your deck...slam, yes I said slam your foot down, I bet that will releases it.

Oddly enough, yesterday, that's exactly what I ended up doing to get it to release.

I'll take a picture later with my iPhone when I head out to the barn, but my lift assist piston has no band like yours does.

T

The Alchemist

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're pushing down on the peddle and trying to adjust the height. You need to put the deck in the locked up position, set the height to less than 4", try 3" to start, then push all the way down on the peddle, then release. It should go down for you.

I'm at 30+ hours on mine, and I love it. My father in law loved it as well, and he decided to get rid of his cheapo zero turn craftsman and buy a ZG125S and loves his as well.

I've had absolutely zero issues with mine and love it. I wish there was a striping kit for it, but I'll just have to figure out something and fabricate it myself.

G

Greg246

I have had the same problem with the wheel and fork breaking off. It first happened 2 months after purchase of the mower. I have had mower for a year and a half now and this has reoccurring problem. Both left and right wheel have broken off and currently the mower is at the dealer yet again because the left wheel has broken off for the second time. Dealer said they have had three others with this same problem. Also had the drive belt come off and was wedged in between the hydrostatic control. And have had the recall fixed. Always have been happy with kubota since I have had several of their commercial mowers and tractors but not happy with this one.

B

bud29376

I also work for a Kubota dealer and would echo what KubotaJohn says. The upgraded warranty has impressed our customers so much, that we have sold two with two feet of snow on the ground.

Could you tell me what Kohler engine originally came on the 2013 ZG127 zero turn mower. Was it the commander series engine or something else?

Thank you

bue29376

R

Rivets

The 2013 units came in to models. ZG127E was power by a Briggs and Stratton Pro engine and the ZG127S was powered by a Kohler Courage Pro engine.