Export thread

Kubota 326Z Diesel engine going out

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I had it rebuilt 2 years ago now its like missing smoking big time.. The OIL checks fine right level.. I took to my local shop they tell me it needs a NEW ENGINIE.
They don't do rebuilds only put in new engine. I start it and it runs just like missing a bad plug.. I hve moved and nobody here to do my rebuilds this is a 2011 model.. Is it time for me to give up fixing it get me a new one.. I put $4,000 in my last rebuild... Just thinking again what will it take to fix this one.. I have a pic video but the sound will not come on.. Now it always starts and will always run till you cut it off it just MISSES and smokes... Whats your way of thinking on this matter. Tks very much on what I need to do.. video is to big

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Are you saying it starts and runs fine until you try to shut the engine off? If so check the shutoff solenoid in the injector pump.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

it don't run fine it really misses like only 2 injectors really missing...

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

You can do a cylinder leakdown test to see what the condition the valves and rings are in. If a leakdown test doesn't show a problem the look at the fuel lift pump and the injector pump. Most Kubotas have 2 fuel filters. Have you changed them? It will either have an electric or mechanical lift pump. A clogged fuel filter or failing lift pump can cause poor running engine. A bad injector or bad injector pump can cause poor running and black smoke. Did the shop tell you why you need a new engine? What diagnostics did they run? A lot of shops don't have the tools or knowledge to work on diesels but they have the tool to swap out engines. Before you drop thousands on a new engine get a $50 leakdown tester and adapter to fit the injector hole and do a leakdown test. Kubotas have 8mm or 10mm threads for the injectors.

You can also do a compression test.
Lots of vids on utube showing how.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I though it was running like bad fuel or had gas.. I drained the tank and put in a NEW Fuel filter thinking this was my fix. But it was not did the same way after it.. Thanks for the advice I will get that done..

cpurvis

cpurvis

First thing I would have checked are the injectors. Missing and smoke sounds like bad injectors.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

What if I just put in NEW INJECTORS?? I did YOU TUBE them found how to clean and change on cars.. How much is a injectors? I thought what the heck just put new ones in.. How expensive is it? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer on fixing stuff.. I can hold my own and give it a try....

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Depending on the engine a set of injectors will be $100-$200. Diesel injectors are a completely different animal from automotive injectors. You won't be able to clean or test them. If you do cange injectors don't adjust or change anything on the injector pump. You won't help anything.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

So I just buy new ones and put them in. ought to be able to do that...

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

You will need to do an air purge. After you put them in put the lines on but leave fitting loose and crank engine till fuel comes out around fitting then tighten the line on the injector.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

your not in Tennessee are you :)

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Sorry. Ohio?

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Each Injector cost $288 each. I got to find somebody here around Lebanon Tenn to guide me on what how to figure this one out..I did find that OTHER FUEL FILTER somebody said ... All these years I just looked right over it.. I thought only 1 the one I always changed ever year...I mean chit for brains.....

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Ouch! Which engine do you have? 902 or D1005? Never paid that for one injector. Most little kubota diesels have over built bottom ends and if you keep good oil in them the bearings and cylinders last a very long time. Biggest problems are with the lift pumps, injector pumps and injectors. Some injectors can be disassembled and cleaned but you need a special machine to test them. Diesels can be tricky to diagnose.

That price sounds like the drain pump for my son's washer. OEM from Amazon was $35. From the local appliance store $156.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Find a diesel repair shop around Lebanon who can test injectors. It's probably only one of the three that's bad and it can probably be repaired. No guarantees, but diesels are not something you want to start throwing parts at. Too expensive for that.

FWIW, black smoke means too much fuel. That's not a symptom of a clogged filter.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Don't know which engine you have but pull the glow plugs and look and see if one has a lot more carbon on it than the others. If you find one that is the cylinder i would clean or replace that injector first.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Best i can tell you have the D1005 engine.
The injectors can be disassembled and cleaned but you need to set the pressure by changing the thickness of #2. Nobody has a 2000 psi tester for that so most folk just get a set of reman injectors. Was the price you got for 1 injector from a kubota dealer? Google kubota D1005 injectors. Lots of diesel parts dealers have reman injectors.

engineScreenshot_20201001-073503_Drive.jpg

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I did change 1 fuel filter it started back fine.. Saw on here there is another so found it and CHANGED IT... Now it will NOT START.. I got the filter pointed the right way.. I loosen up 2 injectors and there is NOT GAS coming out, What is wrong...

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Do you have an electric lift pump or mechanical? If electric you should be able to turn the key on and the pump will run and leave it till fuel comes out at the fuel line to the injector pump. If the pump is mechanical you can either just crank the engine till fuel makes it up to the injector pump. This will take a while and hard on the starter and battery. Some lift pumps on the side of the engine can be worked manually to bleed system. I think the D1005 uses a mechanical pump like the old automobile mechanical pumps so no manual priming. A couple of the more red neck ways are to pull the inlet line to the pump off and then apply no nore than about 5 psi air pressure at the fuel tank filler cap till fuel comes out then reattach line at lift pump then loosen inlet line to injector pump and crank engine till fuel comes out then tighten that then bleed injector lines. Or use the diesel fuel in a spray bottle method. Be sure the fuel tank is full also.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I filled up the tank all the way. I loosen up injectors again. Got a spray bottle sprayed Diesel into the air hole.. Nothing happed still NO START...

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Going to assume you have the D1005 engine. When you turn on the key does the glow plug light come on for about 10 seconds then go off? If you sprayed diesel into the air intake with hot glow plugs you should get some kind of fire out of the engine. Hot glow plugs+compression+fuel should at least give you something. Do you get any kind of black or white smoke out of the exhaust?
When you say loosened the injectors are you loosening the line at the top of the injectors or loosening the injectors themselves? you need to bleed the system up to the injector pump before bleeding the injector lines. Don't loosen the injectors themselves. Is there any fuel up to either filter? Do we know if the lift pump is working?

cpurvis

cpurvis

I filled up the tank all the way. I loosen up injectors again. Got a spray bottle sprayed Diesel into the air hole.. Nothing happed still NO START...
Many mistakes made here. Best bet is to consult the Kubota manual to see how they recommend changing fuel filters and priming the fuel system, injection pump and injectors.

B

bertsmobile1

Some where on the injector pump or on the filter will be a manual pump .
You need to open the fuel line from the filter to the pump and hand pump till it stops frothing
Close the pump input line and then crack each of the injector lines at the injectors and once again pump till oil issues from one of them.
Depending upon how the injection is timed electric or mechanical you might be able to bleed all of them ( electric only ) .
Then & only then you can start to crank the engine using SHORT shots of Aerostart down the air intake.
You can flood a diesel engine just as easily as you can flood a petrol engine so don't spray too much and don't pour diesel directly into the cylinder.
A LIQUID CAN NOT BURN so all you will accomplish is breaking a ring or hydrolocking the engine

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I am assuming he has the D1005 engine. There are 3 different lift pumps that can be on the engine. Electric, manual with bleed lever and manual with out a bleed lever. There are a couple different filter types also. If the tank is above the engine it can have the lift pump without a priming lever. If the tank is below the engine a mechanical pump will have a manual bleeding lever. Electric can come on either. If he has the mechanical lift pump with the lever on the side he can pull the inlet line off the injector pump and manually pump the lever till fuel comes out and depending on the filters fill the spin on filter with fuel before installing. Not knowing exactly what he has i suggested things that will work on any system. The injector pump is mechanical driven by a camshaft.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Found a older man who works on them and tractors.. I stilll can get is started... I need to get it on my tilt trailer take to him to give me a price let him check it out.. How do you put it in neutral to get it to roll?? my have to winch it on the trailer wish could roll it up..
Thank ALL OF YOU FOR HELPING ME !!!

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Guys I still have not solved my problem of it not starting.. Does anybody have a pic or where the manually pump is located?? My engine is a D1005E3.. here is a pic of my injectors I unhooked the rubber hose to the injecter and turn on key and diesel flows out of the hose. I did Uconnect all 3 injectors and turn on key and nothing comes out.. how do I FIND this manual pump or what else can I do. I hate to be so stupid on doing this but I am..
David
Tennessee

Attachments

M

mechanic mark

How many hours on Kubota Diesel engine? What condition is air filter in? Have you tried adjusting valves & injectors per engine Service Manual?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Need to know if you have an electric lift pump or a mechanical. The lift pump pushes fuel up to the injector pump. If you pull the fuel line off the injector pump and turn the key on and fuel comes out you must have an electric lift pump. If you have a mechanical lift pump that bolts to the side if the engine there should be a lever on the pump. You remove the fuel line from the injector pump and manually pump the lever till fuel comes out the line. Then reconnect the line and loosen the injector lines at the top of the injectors and then crank the engine like you are trying to start at it full throttle till fuel pulses out the fittings then tighten the fittings and then the engine should start. The manual pump is there to purge air from new filters and line up to the injector pump at a couple psi. The injector pump puts out a couple thousand PSI. Don't adjust anything on the injector pump. The only time fuel will come out of the injector pump unless the engine is cranking over or running.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

yes I turn the key on and fuel comes out of the hose. So I do have a electric. So it is electric what is next?
A neighbor did connect a meter to the pump and said it was cutting on...

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

If you have fuel coming out the hose to the injector pump when you turn the key on the system should be primed up to the injector pump. Let's see if the injector pump is working. The engine speed in a diesel engine is controlled by how much fuel is delivered to the injectors not a throttle valve like in a gas engine. The more you advance the throttle the more fuel the injector pump delivers each stroke and it delivers the fuel at a couple thousand PSI. If you pull a line off one of the injectors and set the throttle at full speed and crank the engine for about 10 seconds let the starter cool for about a minute and then crank it for ten more seconds. You should get some fuel coming out of the line. You set it at full throttle to get the most fuel per injector pulse. If no fuel comes out the injector line you have a problem with the injection pump.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Don't pull a line completely off an injector. CRACK open the line at one injector (not the injection pump) slightly, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. Keep the two wrenches on or a close to the injector as you can. Crank the engine until you see fuel begin to leak our of the fitting on the injector. The engine may start to 'hit', running on that cylinder. Tighten the nut on the injector as soon as you see fuel or the engine starts to run. Repeat this process on another cylinder. It will probably start and run now, but rough. Speed the engine up and the last injector will probably bleed itself. If not, bleed the 3rd injector.

FWIW, all old mechanical injected diesels start with the 'rack' in the fully open position. It makes no difference where you set the throttle, the engine will be receiving fuel at the maximum rate when cranking. You can hear the engine rev when it starts until the governor pulls the rack back to idle.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

He has been working on this thing fo a while. The reason i said to put it at full throttle is to be sure the rack is in the full open position and i said to remove the line to see if any fuel comes out. You are correct if everything is working properly. What you say to do was suggested 2 pages ago on this thread and he said it didn't work. Does it have broken springs in the injector pump or a bad shutoff solenoid possibly or stuck govenor linkage? Most of the little kubotas with electric lift pumps will fire up and purge the injector lines by themselves once you get fuel up to the injector pump.

cpurvis

cpurvis

He has been working on this thing fo a while. The reason i said to put it at full throttle is to be sure the rack is in the full open position and i said to remove the line to see if any fuel comes out. You are correct if everything is working properly. What you say to do was suggested 2 pages ago on this thread and he said it didn't work. Does it have broken springs in the injector pump or a bad shutoff solenoid possibly or stuck govenor linkage? Most of the little kubotas with electric lift pumps will fire up and purge the injector lines by themselves once you get fuel up to the injector pump.
I realize that he was told how to do it, but there is no evidence that he ever did follow those directions correctly. I see posts on page 2 in which he says it was running, but he saw on here that there is a second filter so he replaced it and it wouldn't start, so he cracked two lines (and by doing that, admitted air into the system), loosened the injectors (again) and sprayed some diesel fuel in the intake.

Those two posts are before and after your post of Oct 10 in which you posted a video of how to prime a diesel engine.

Since it was running prior to replacing filter #2, it's doubtful that there's anything wrong with the injection pump.

But even when he gets it re-primed and running, I'm going to guess that the original problem will still be there, because smoking and misfiring aren't the symptoms of clogged fuel filters. No smoke and loss of power are.

Lebanon is about 25 miles east of Nashville and there are diesel shops in Nashville. Here's one: http://dieselsalesandservice.com/ If they don't test or work on Kubota injectors, they probably know of a shop that does.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Ok, mower still will not start.. I disconnect the hose from gas filters to the injectors. Turn the key on and the pump makes a hum noise. Diesel comes out of rubber hose fast.. I loosen open 3 turns of my top 3 injectors put my hand over the exhaust turn on the key nothing comes out of injectors..
I spray Diesel into the exhaust. I spray starter fluid no turn over any kind..
Guys I have tried every thing I CAN think of.. People have told me try this and nothing works...

cpurvis

cpurvis

Stop while you're ahead before you break something.

Call a Kubota dealer and have them come out and get it started for you.

M

mechanic mark

When & if you change fuel filters on a Diesel Engine fill filters with diesel fuel or if they have a primer hand pump put filter on dry & use hand pump to fill filter. This procedure of filling filters with diesel fuel first saves time & headaches, also keeps air from entering fuel system. You may still have to crack injector lines to bleed air from system while someone is in drivers seat is cranking engine.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I have done all that bleed the lines.. I just took off the injector pump and the solenoid pump.. Im taking the injector pump to Taylor Diesel in Nashville tomorrow.. They will test it if ok give it back no charge. If they rebuild it it will cost me $525.. I have had this mower 14 years even if its ok I'm going to have them rebuild it. All this work getting it off i'm getting this mower back going one way or the other.. I bought a new solenoid pump for $44 off ebay.. we will see.. I'M 65 just retired steel mill 38 years got more money I saved, retirement buy out.. I can spend a little money take my time to get this thing going.. Gives me something to piddle with all I been doing is messing with this and playing golf... Gives me something to do mess with this..

Attachments

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Ok so I go to Taylor Diesel man look at my pump and says see these bottom rollers, they are stuck all a stuck.. He tells me you must have got some bad diesel got grit in it. That will stick them, you need to flush out your diesel put in some new.. I tell him about my mower running real bad white smoke.. He tells me a bad injector will cause this to happen you got bad pump chances you have bad injectors. I would bring them in we test them.. $80 we will rebuild them... Ok so I drive back 32 miles take off injectors which is a job.. On of the rings which holds them broke off see picture... Guy tells me have to go Kubota place order one...I did order one for $28..
See all this started was it was running bad smokeing I took to Kubota. They tell me I need a new engine and radiator $6,000.. Hmm 6 grand now Im thinking the oil is checking good it running.. Might just be something else I get home change 1 gas filter starts fine I change the other and now It will NOT START.. I get on here for advice and thanks for all the advice I did do what was told but still no go.. I ask around town for a diesel mechanic nothing, put a ad on craigs list.. So stopped at 1 place a body shop.. Guy tells me you need to go to machine shop around the corner see Ray... He knows diesels has a kubota he works on them... I go see RAY tell him swear he comes to my house does all his looking turning nuts.. He tells me I THINK injector pump you take to Taylors...
I love this guy I gave him a $100 bill.. He puts it back together I will give him another $100.... I even have a Massey 165 diesel with a bent fender he tells me a place to call.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

2 of the injectors were BAD.. One had rust around the bottom. He said water must have got in your diesel.. He said this will cause your mower to give white smoke and not run right..... We will see

Attachments

M

mechanic mark

Be sure to use wire brush to clean old carbon deposits inside injector ports especially bottom end. Before installing new injectors squirt plenty of oil on "o" rings on new injectors. After installing injector I would seat injector with a ball peen hammer & a piece of 2x4. Lastly run overhead adjusting valves & injectors per Kubota specs. in engine manual.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

man told me put pump in snug and bump key couple of times.. wish I had a manual...
I read do not turn move the hook up that will mess your timeing up big time..
ill sure check into that TKS

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

I got my new pump and all 3 injectors put on.. I have diesel coming out of the top injectors.. BUT I HAVE DIESEL coming from UNDER ALL 3 injectors.. When he put in the new injectors he took out the old washer put in the new copper washers. But they all are leaking from under.. . So He took out a injector and compared the size of the washer and it is the same.. They are tight as can be... Any Ideals what this might be? It still will not start.... I know im in over my head but I'm here..
David

cpurvis

cpurvis

Call the guy who installed your pump and/or injectors and tell him he's not finished.

Why didn't he start it when he was there?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Is the fuel coming from where the injectors go into the block or from the where the fuel rail meets the upper part of the injector? Did he use all new crush washers?

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

He did try to start it.. No start... yes diesel is coming out from where the injectors where screwed into the block.. yes all washers were new from Taylor Diesel who rebuilt the injectors.. Coming out the same in all 3 injectors... no diesel coming (LEAK) out from where the fuel rail is bolted on..

L

lugbolt

the engines internal parts are expensive and there are many. So if a engine needs a rebuild, it's about the same cost to replace it nowadays. A new kubota engine will have all new injectors, pump, lines, starter in many cases, alternator, belt, water pump, basically it's complete enough to start/run it OFF Of the machine (not that I suggest doing that of course).

Kubota injector pumps and injectors RARELY fail without "help". In the 30 years of dealing with them, I think I replaced 1 pump and one injector because they were questionable. I have, however, had to replace many pumps because the owner/operators ran the fuel system dry, and tried to "bleed it" by "cracking the lines loose"--at the pump end. You don't need to do that, ever. That's the wrong way to bleed them and can cost you a pump. People see that stuff on TV mining shows and logging shows and assume it's the right way to do it and it's not. You don't ever bleed them at the lines on Kubota, rather at the bleeder (which apparently nobody knows about?). if you crack the lines at the pump, there is good chance that the delivery valve has been rotated, which damages it/them. That's where I have had to replace a bunch of them over the years. It is fixable but typically the shops that specialize in rebuilding the smaller zexel and bosch pumps charge really close to the same amount to rebuild as it is to just replace it with an OE Kubota replacement pump, and with less downtime.

and on kubota, one should never (EVER) spray anything down the intake while cranking the engine. That is almost a guarantee to bend one or more rods regardless of what you spray in there whether it be diesel starting fluid gasoline pee, water, beer, def, etc.

While reading the comments I noticed a lot of "diesel mechanics". Though, I haven't seen too many folks tell you to check the engine compression. I would bet that you have low compression on at least one cylinder. Most folks don't have a compression tester for kubota engines, so most folks "ASSume" it's "good". 300 psi won't run. On that engine it needs to be close to double that. At 400 they're very very weak, typically smoke until warmed up and then they're running but low on power.

The original post said low power and smoke. I'm going out on a limb and guessing that the compression is weak on one or more cylinders. The usual cause on these is overheating. Overheating also cracks the head a majority of the time. The result of low compression is that the engine might run on one or two cylinders but it's still pumping fuel into all 3, just not burning it, so that fuel is pumped into, then it's blown out (because it isn't combusted) through the exhaust system as white or sometimes almost a bluish smoke. And then--usually the "internet diesel mechanics" show up and tell you that you have a bad pump or injector, which is, again, very rare with Kubota engines. Normally it's another problem and replacing the pump/injector wasn't the only repair made, but that is never told...typical of internet forums, you never get the whole story.

M

mechanic mark

Suggestion from former Diesel Mechanic of 11 & 1/2 yrs. If you plan on keeping your Kubota & maintaining it yourself, purchase Kubota Shop Repair Manual for your Model & read it. When I worked for Ryder we replaced all injectors at 144000 miles adjusted valves & injectors as well as replaced water pump, alternator, starter, rebuilt fan hub, turbocharger rebuild, etc. Preventive Maintenance is the key in keeping equipment, vehicles, airplanes, etc. running. Weigh your options in keeping your 14 year old Kubota running vs. purchasing a new one. I'm retired & will be 68 end of May & fortunate to have two grown sons to help me out when need be.

Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Suggestion from former Diesel Mechanic of 11 & 1/2 yrs. If you plan on keeping your Kubota & maintaining it yourself, purchase Kubota Shop Repair Manual for your Model & read it. When I worked for Ryder we replaced all injectors at 144000 miles adjusted valves & injectors as well as replaced water pump, alternator, starter, rebuilt fan hub, turbocharger rebuild, etc. Preventive Maintenance is the key in keeping equipment, vehicles, airplanes, etc. running. Weigh your options in keeping your 14 year old Kubota running vs. purchasing a new one. I'm retired & will be 68 end of May & fortunate to have two grown sons to help me out when need be.
Mark are the fellow who lives near Jackson that I did talk to about my mower? You said you have been to Lebanon before.. I told you I MIGHT come see you.. Sir I still have not got my mower going...I sure would like to bring to you for you just to see if you can get it going.
David
731-695-5658