Kohler SV735 DSAM Bad??

Turbodriven

Threads
A ten percent differential between cylinders is what you are looking for as acceptable. I would check the valve clearance as a first step. Could be worn rings, partially blown head gasket, etc.
Which cylinder is the problem? 180 is too high isn't it? 140 is a little low, but very acceptable for an engine with hours on it. Right??

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As said first make sure the valves are adjusted correctly. Then do a leak down test to look blown head gasket, worn rings, or leaky valves.

Some engines it is acceptable for up to 20% different between cylinders, just depends on the manufacture specs.

Turbodriven

Threads
As said first make sure the valves are adjusted correctly. Then do a leak down test to look blown head gasket, worn rings, or leaky valves.

Some engines it is acceptable for up to 20% different between cylinders, just depends on the manufacture specs.
This motor should have hydraulic lifters so valves can't be adjusted. But I'll pull the valve covers off and look for any anomalies. Maybe a worn cam causing valves not to fully travel or something. At least I can rule some things out maybe.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This motor should have hydraulic lifters so valves can't be adjusted. But I'll pull the valve covers off and look for any anomalies. Maybe a worn cam causing valves not to fully travel or something. At least I can rule some things out maybe.
The SV Courage engines use a solid lifter not hydraulic. So need to check valve clearances.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
180 lbs of compression is perfect and what that engine would have had brand new. We like to see a minimum of 150 but 140 doesn't necessarily mean you have a major problem. What does the spark plug look like on the 140 side? Does it look a lot different than the 180 side spark plug? Like was mentioned, a leak down test could tell you a lot.

As far as your wiring issue goes, I'd want to check the voltages again with the DSAM plugged in and unplugged but this time check it with the key in the start position. To keep the starter from turning, disconnect the small excite wire from the solenoid before you start your tests. See if you get the same voltage readings as you did with the key in the run position. If the reading you get in the start position are what they should be, I'd start by cutting the diode out of the run circuit wire and put the wire back together without it. It doesn't need it and Kohler took the diode out on the run circuit wire on later models. Or at least check on the input side of the diode and see if your voltages differ on that side. Make sure you get the run side diode and not the start side. The start side diode is definitely needed.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Like IL mentioned, your engine has solid lifters. Only the Command engines had hydraulic lifters. If memory serves me correctly, the SV twin clearance is .004-.006 on both intake and exhaust.

Turbodriven

Threads
180 lbs of compression is perfect and what that engine would have had brand new. We like to see a minimum of 150 but 140 doesn't necessarily mean you have a major problem. What does the spark plug look like on the 140 side? Does it look a lot different than the 180 side spark plug? Like was mentioned, a leak down test could tell you a lot.
Both spark plugs look golden brown. No real difference. Both appear healthy.

Edit: That is an interesting note about the lifters/valves. I'll check clearances. To be honest, I haven't pulled a Courage apart yet. It'll be a learning experience.