Kohler SV591-3219 stumbles when hot

madkiwi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Purchased a 2017 Dirty Hand Tools tow behind brush mower a few weeks ago and am sorting out all the problems. Previous owner had no clue, the swinging blades were beaten blunt, the mower spindle bearings were shot, some yahoo had installed the wrong sized drive belt, throttle cable was bent and partially seized.

I got all that dealt with, replaced the air, oil and fuel filters, fresh ethanol free gas, replaced the main 30 amp fuse so that the battery actually gets charged (at first the battery was being discharged by running the engine).

Engine (Courage 597cc 19 HP) is basically fine, no oil leaks, runs well. Installed an hour-meter/tachometer, at WOT it's running about 3200 rpm, idles at 1600.

Problem I can't get a handle on- after about 45-60 minutes of mowing it will start hesitating under load. By load I mean the mower is doing it's thing and you hear the engine speed drop like it wants to stall. It recovers when you stop moving, then starts bogging down again when I drive forward through uncut grass. The same type of field brush/grass that was not a problem 15 minutes earlier. The motor is so strong that you barely even notice a change in pitch when you get into the thick stuff and the governor adds throttle. Until it starts losing power that is...

Also when it starts doing this I noticed a stronger gas smell from the exhaust, like partially unburnt fuel is getting through- had one small backfire which made me suspicious. Which leads me to wonder about spark.

The only thing I have not yet replaced is the spark plug, because it seemed like spark is great. However I am wondering if a defective plug may seem to be fine but after an hour starts acting up. I just didn't recognize the symptoms as indicative of spark problems, nor taking that long to show up.

Any ideas?

Mark

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove blower housing, screen & top cover over engine, & clean by hand & use a Shop Vac, Absolutely NO Water. Be patient & take your time cleaning all the dirt & crud from cooling fins on each cylinder & etc. That is why I suggested using a Shop Vac & a wire coat hanger etc. to remove crud from tight spots. You can check your air gap from coil to flywheel after cleaning, you will be amazed at the amount of crud buildup on engine. Your engine needs to breathe & run cooler & this is one most important item that is often overlooked. Who knows, you may find some nests under blower housing. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

gainestruk

Threads
It probley need valves adjusted also, intake at .005 inch exhaust at .007, it could be like my 18 hp Courage, I have 817.5 hrs on it and I can tell it's getting tired, I have to slow down some now in heavy grass engine runs fine just power going down.
When you pull it listen to engine and when you hear govoner add power to engine slow down so you aren't working it so hard.
When you have blower off check around all the bolts you see on top of block on it, make sure you don't see any cracks, put a wrench on each one and make sure they are tight, if one moves you need to tighten it, for live of me I can't find what torque is, any one else know it, ( ijust hand tighten them)

madkiwi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I did that today, it was quite clean. No cracks, only one bolt was a little loose, only needed a half turn to get nice and tight. It was one of the ones on the right side behind the air filter housing.

engine1.jpg

Spark plug was black, so running rich but not eroded.Gap was spot on. Replaced it anyway.

plug.jpg

I will try to get it out this weekend and see if any of this helped.

Mark

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't assume engine is running rich because plug is black. I would replace the plug just to eliminate it and adjust the valves and check head bolts. You could have a spark problem, coil or plug, or a fuel delivery problem, fuel starvation. When you mow do you run the engine at full speed? You should be. Check the fuel system. A clogged fuel pickup in the tank can cause restricted flow that makes engine stumble when throttle opens. A fuel pump going bad can cause same problem.
Aside from the loss of power problem you can try moving up to the next hotter plug RC14YC and see if the plug runs cleaner.