kohler problem

BLAKEWHEELER

Forum Newbie
Threads
have a Pioneer 60" with the kohler 24hp(I think) motor, I will get the engine # tonight. I got on it yesterday to mow and noticed when I turned the key to the on position I could hear a sizzling sound then saw some smoke. I tried cranking it but it wouldn't start but turns over fine. I found the 20amp fuse was blown so I replaced it, it blew in about 3 seconds. I took the shield off the top of the motor to see if I could see what was going on, if I unplug the coil on the drivers side of the machine it doesn't blow the fuse but as soon as I plug it in it blows it. The plug has a small melted spot on it. Anyone ever had this problem? All the wires under the shield look good and there is no corrosion on the plugins. Thanks for any help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get us the model and spec number when you get chance that way we can see what ignition system we are dealing with. There has been so many changes to Kohlers ignition systems I wouldn't even want to start guessing until I have more information.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get us the model and spec number when you get chance that way we can see what ignition system we are dealing with. There has been so many changes to Kohlers ignition systems I wouldn't even want to start guessing until I have more information.

This is right because it sound more like a smart spark system problem more then coil. Kohler has some very good shop manuals on line but you will need the model and spec numbers to know what to look for.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your system is being converted from the DSAI to the MDI system part number 25 707 03-s which no longer requires the 12 v feed to the ignition module This kit includes everything to convert to the new system.