Kohler K301 throttle issues

Hazardsneon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to Kohlers and I'm working on my father-in-law's Jacobsen Chief with a Kohler K301 that had been sitting for a while. I finally got it up and running but when I try to give it throttle, the engine revs up and then goes back to idle. I can do this multiple times buy pulling the throttle back down and then back up. It still isn't driving yet so I can't put a load on the engine to see if it would provide throttle in need. When I was working on it I noticed a piece of stiff wire running from the throttle on the carb and out from under the hood. I imagine the driver would pull on to give it throttle and said "to heck" with the governer. I would like to fix this issue the correct way. Any ideas?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you saying that this cable is "slipping"??? If you were to hold the throttle open at the carb with your fingers, will it stay
running at full throttle?

Give some better details, and maybe a pic or 2.

Hazardsneon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't believe the throttle cable is slipping. I have the throttle lever at low and then push the throttle lever up to give more throttle, the engine will rev up and then slowly rev back down to an idle. If I pull the throttle lever back down to low, it doesn't change the speed of the engine but if I pushed the throttle lever back up it will rev up and slow back down. I never thought to hold the throttle on the carb to see if it would hold throttle. It will be a little bit before I get to try it out but I just wanted to get some advise before I was able to make it over and work on it again. It is a distance away from me so I can't take any pictures. I can tell you that it is a Jacobsen Chief 1200 with a Kohler K301 engine. If you want the service manuals, I can sent them to you if it would help.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well the gov just evens out the throttle to where you set it, and if a load hits the system, the rpms should bounce back quickly to where it was running.
So when you get back to it, be very detailed at what you are doing, so we can focus in the right area.

Hazardsneon

Forum Newbie
Threads
What kind of information would you like to know? I definitely plan on going directly to the carb and holding the throttle open. I am also going to be looking for slippages. What other specific things would you like me to look for in order to best help you to best help me? Thanks for the help.