Kohler engine starter engages but engine will not turn

ssgshoe69

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler engine starter engages but engine will not turn
Help,
I have a craftsman mower model No 917.259547 with a kohler 15.5 hp engine model No CV155. The problem is I went to start the engine but the starter was not working. Charged battery nothing. Got multimeter out and found no voltage at starter. After further testing, starter solenoid was not passing the voltage. Replace starter solenoid. Starter engaged but engine would not turn over. Tried turning engine at crank but would not move. Removed spark plug and engine still would not turn. After removing top cover of engine to look at things I grab the flywheel and I could turn engine. Attempted to start engine and it started right up. Put everything back together and guess what, engine would not turn over. Help

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Double check your battery posts, they may be reversed!!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Attempted to start engine and it started right up." was this by hand or by starter motor..?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Clean/brush all posts and terminals.

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Help,
I have a craftsman mower model No 917.259547 with a kohler 15.5 hp engine model No CV155. The problem is I went to start the engine but the starter was not working. Charged battery nothing. Got multimeter out and found no voltage at starter. After further testing, starter solenoid was not passing the voltage. Replace starter solenoid. Starter engaged but engine would not turn over. Tried turning engine at crank but would not move. Removed spark plug and engine still would not turn. After removing top cover of engine to look at things I grab the flywheel and I could turn engine. Attempted to start engine and it started right up. Put everything back together and guess what, engine would not turn over. Help

Sure you haven't got a flywheel cover bolt that it too long and is perhaps binding on the flywheel?

It only turned when the cover was off that's why I'm suggesting it.