Kohler engine knock,Husq 46" mower

Iornworker709

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was wondering about the Kohler warranties,i bought a Husqvarna model number YTH21K46 in March of 2010..
I do all my own maintenance on all my equipment and vehicles..and i am thorough and picky about it..

This thing has always worked great and always happy with it,especialy since this was very first time i ever broke down and bought a brand new one,i have always bought used ones and did any work myself if needed,i still have to very old riding mowers with Briggs and Strattons and to this day still run well..but i just got tired of working on the decks and pther parts and broke down and bought a new one for once in my life...now i am starting to regret it dearly.......

I just changed the oil and filter in it about 2 weeks ago again,i always check my oil before running it..i used the recommended SAE 30 Kohler recommends for it..

Just yesterday,my wife was cutting the lawn,i heard a noise while she was running,so i stopped and checked it out,turned the blades off to make sure it wasn't the deck making the noise....i have a SERIOUS rod knock going on in the engine now and it is still full of fersh clean oil..
I called Lowe's 24 hour hotline,she said it is just a few months out of their warranty but still under the manufacture warranty(husq)..so i will be calling their hotline tomorrow with doubts because i read online Kohler only warranty their engines for 2 years?...

I am totaly PO'd right now..i spent 1600.00 on this thing..cash money "thinking" because it had a Kohler engine it would last a long time..boy was i mistaking.....

If i get a bunch of crap in the end that i am stuck with the repairs on this thing..where can i get a good replacement engine at a good price?..i am currently unemployed,will be back to work mid august,but my lawn can;t wait that long..lol..plus my old riding mowers i still have has not been ran in a while and need work on the decks....

I'll never get the urge to buy new again..i am PO'd right now and feel like a fool for trusting supposed reputable companies such as Husq and Kohler...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't say what model of engine it is. I have been dealing with Kohler for years and they normally work with you to solve the problem. This is a reason I always recommend buying from a dealer, you have someone to be your advocate if something does happen. Don't rely on Lowes to help you. Remember they are in the business of selling, not repairs. Husky is going to tell you that their warranty does not cover the engine. Talk to customer service at Kohler in a nice way and see what they have to say. Make sure you have all your model numbers for the engine when you do.

Iornworker709

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a Kohler Courage 21 HP engine..model # SV610..........

its in the Husqvarna YTH21K46 mower....

I've been searching and reading reviews of these Courage engines regardless of where they bought them..and they are FAR from good..seems alot of poeple have had the same problems with these courage engines..some of them with as low as 15 hours on them..mine has 119 hours now.

I bought the one with a Kohler engine for the fact they have always had a good rep .....what a mistake i made...

we'll see what happens tomorrow after a few phone calls....

1600.00 for a new "supposedly" good name..Kohler...and it ends up trash...

There is a few used riding mowers in my area of the same cut and HP,but they have the B&S in them..so if things go sour with the phone calls..i'll just buy one of them and figure out what to do with this thing later....there is a used 20 HP B&S for sale localy for 150.00..if i can figure out how much of a problem to put it in mine,i may go that way...

I already have every possible numbers and info on the engine and chassis..i also have all the purchasing material and exact dates what i paid for it and where...now it's just gonna be a phone tag day tomorrow i geuss........

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I understand what you are saying about the Courage engine. Kohler knows that there is a problem. From my experience, I'm willing to bet that they will work with you, unless you start off being nasty with them.

Iornworker709

Forum Newbie
Threads
I understand what you are saying about the Courage engine. Kohler knows that there is a problem. From my experience, I'm willing to bet that they will work with you, unless you start off being nasty with them.

I am hoping so..and yes i am upset..but i wasn't planning on just "blasting" them on the phone..lol ..unless after all the talking with them ends up with zero help from them...

I read countless people online having problems with these courage engines..wish i'da knew that before i bought it.i would of went with the one with the B&S or the Commander or kawasaki engine...

Thanks for the reply..if i eer decide to buy new again..it'll be a local shop this time and i'll just spend the money on a better product...what really gets me is,they sell these things at box stores for a hefty price and their still junk compared to what these things used to be..my neighbor bought one of the Husqvarna zero turns at a dealer instead of a box store in Swainsboro Ga..and it's down more than running it seems.........:thumbdown:

As far as before now..i've been VERY happy with this thing,cuts well..runs good,the wife loves the so called "cruise control"..lol..and the seat adjusts easily for her,she's only 4'11" @ about 115 lb..so on my old riding mowers i had to make some pedal extentions for her...lol

Lawnranger

Threads
I'll go out on a limb here and make a suggestion and you can do whatever you want with it. If you are somewhat handy, and it sounds like you are, why not take one of the older B&S engines off your older riders and fit it to the new chassis & deck? If the bolt holes, exhaust and whatever else lines up, you can rewire the starting, charging & ignition system so you can at least cut your grass with minimal expense. If Kohler does work with you, you will have to take the engine in anyway. Worth a try??? On the other hand I have had to borrow a mower from a friend to get by.

Iornworker709

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll go out on a limb here and make a suggestion and you can do whatever you want with it. If you are somewhat handy, and it sounds like you are, why not take one of the older B&S engines off your older riders and fit it to the new chassis & deck? If the bolt holes, exhaust and whatever else lines up, you can rewire the starting, charging & ignition system so you can at least cut your grass with minimal expense. If Kohler does work with you, you will have to take the engine in anyway. Worth a try??? On the other hand I have had to borrow a mower from a friend to get by.

I've already had that in mind..and will do it if i have too as a last resort.

I just hate having to butcher up anything on this thing since it's so new,and being those engines are probably early 2000 or even pre-2000 models i have a feeling alot wire splicing and cable control and pully modifying will be in the mess of that...

Lawnranger

Threads
I've already had that in mind..and will do it if i have too as a last resort.

I just hate having to butcher up anything on this thing since it's so new,and being those engines are probably early 2000 or even pre-2000 models i have a feeling alot wire splicing and cable control and pully modifying will be in the mess of that...

I completely understand and feel the same way as you. This would probably be your lowest cost option if the crankshafts were the same dimensions and that sure would be nice if they were the same.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Iornworker709

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll try to call tomorrow,just got a call from My business agent( i am an Interntional Ironworker) and we got the new apprenticeship shop approved and certified for the new international AWS NR233 wire that is now a new requirement for all the new Infrastructure in the USA..so i am gonns jump on the chance to get in there tomorro and get the certs added to my AWS card before it gets hard to get in there with everyone needing it...so i may have to wait till tuesday because this most likley take the whole day since while i am there i can update all my other process certs....

Thanks for all the help guys!..:thumbsup:..i'll let you all know the end results of all this.

And i'll be back alot more often..i have a used pressure washer i got cheap and doesn;t run right,also been wanting to build my own sort of Bush Hog to tow behind my riding mower or a 4 wheeler to cut the sides of my 1/4 mile long private road..i never use my good mowers for it.usualy count on a buddy to use his tractor with a bush hog,but he's been crazy busy with his heavy equipment on jobs...i want to build one to tow behind me but self powered with an engine of its own..