Kohler CV20 oil pan problem on reinstall

crawdad62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had the gasket on the oil pan of my Kohler give out and started to leak oil. Pulled the motor and looked for a replacement gasket and didn't really see any listed. Kohler's website said use RTV sealant so that's what I did. Every time I tighten the pan bolts it locks up the motor. They don't even need to be tightened to torque spec. Just more than finger tight. I think the pan is bottoming out on the crankshaft which obviously it didn't do with the gasket. Finally found a gasket today so I'm going to try that out tomorrow. Question I have is that I have a washer between the crankshaft and the oil pan on the output shaft but any diagrams I see for this motor doesn't show one. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the spec number off your engine and I will see what I can find on the Kohler dealer site.

Some earlier models didn't use a pan gasket, just RTV. Then later Kohler started using pan gaskets on some engines again.

crawdad62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow that was quick! I'm at work right now and won't be home until tomorrow so I'm not positive but I think it's a CV20-S 65594 Kohler Command. It's on a Dixie Chopper LT2000-50 if that's any help. If not I'll look tomorrow when I get home.

Thanks ILENGINE. Appreciate it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good guess on the spec number, part number 24 051 54-s. Dixie Chopper silver eagle if you are correct on the spec.

You receive the gasket, a dowel, and instruction sheet.

Your spec number that you posted also shows a crankshaft shim for your engine.

crawdad62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could that be 24 041 54-S instead of 051? That's what I got today. It is a Silver Eagle. And much thanks on the shim info.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could that be 24 041 54-S instead of 051? That's what I got today. It is a Silver Eagle. And much thanks on the shim info.

Fat fingers hit wrong key, you have the correct gasket.