Kohler cv135 Lawn Mower Engine Cranks but wont start

SalineSchools

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler cv135 Lawn Mower Engine Cranks but wont start
I am working on this motor in my automotive class. I had to disassemble it and rebuild it witch i did and now when i try to start it it will crank but wont spar i just had to replace the magneto. because it was not sparking. So i don't know what else to try and do to get it running. To tell you guys the truth i don't even know of the thing started when i took it apart. I have brought back this far i just want to get the thing going

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spark, fuel, compression, timing and it will run. Start with the basics, start small. What is it missing. I would think this is one of the frist things the school should teach you?

SalineSchools

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ran compression and leak down tests all look good and im using unleaded fuel and 5w 30 oil Put news park plugs and ran a spark plug test we get sparks.and rebuilt cab nothing seemed to be in the jets or anything. opened crank case to check alignment and every thing looks good also put a new head gasket on it to. Any help would be amazing

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have enough spark, At the proper time, Plus compression... And fuel ...

Assuming you have proper ignition, Spray starting fluid (ether) Or WD40, Or carb cleaner, Or gasoline (any thing flammable directly into the carb While trying to start it.
If it starts you have a fuel delivery problem... If it will Not start it has another problem...
You have to begin some where and like reynoldston has said... start with the easiest basic troubleshooting... :smile:KennyV

putterman46

Threads
I am working on this motor in my automotive class. I had to disassemble it and rebuild it witch i did and now when i try to start it it will crank but wont spar i just had to replace the magneto. because it was not sparking. So i don't know what else to try and do to get it running. To tell you guys the truth i don't even know of the thing started when i took it apart. I have brought back this far i just want to get the thing going

check your flywheel key. It sounds like it is out of time.

DaveTN

Threads
Every now and then I will replace a known bad part with an "assumed" good new part only to find out it too was faulty. Assuming the replacement coil / magneto was good, you could have a grounding problem. Pull the kill wire on the magneto and see if you still get fire. Also check your air gap on the magneto to flywheel make sure it's ok. If no spark , then that coil too is bad. If you do get fire, then look for the kill wire to be grounding out between the coil and the kill switch. Even a small nick in the wire can kill the spark. Just curious if you have magnetism on the flywheel magnets? Could possibly be a bad flywheel since you never heard the mower run to start with. I have also seen the wrong flywheels put on engines!