Export thread

Kohler Courage SV600 - closed throttle

S

shauncavett

Long story short...the throttle plate on my carb stays closed at all times. It appears a spring is missing or something.

Long story - My brother in law is our default mechanic who decided the carb kit was needed because my SV600 would not turn over. It will crank, but not start. Carb kit came in and I can't get my brother in law to call me back. As a result, I'm trying to install the new carb. Upon carb installation, i found something other than the carb is causing the throttle to stay closed. There very well could be a completely different issue.

I have attached a few pictures for what it's worth.

Any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

C

chance123

Do you have the throttle control in the run position? Also, see what happens when you put your throttle control to the "choke" position and see if the choke butterfly closes.

EngineMan

EngineMan

Looking at the photo's I can't see the governor spring, but then, I am old and my eye's are no longer good..!.

S

shauncavett

Do you have the throttle control in the run position? Also, see what happens when you put your throttle control to the "choke" position and see if the choke butterfly closes.

The throttle plate stays closed even when I move the throttle lever up and down. When I push the throttle lever to the choke position, it closes the choke plate.

The rod connecting to the throttle plate seems like it's not attached properly or is missing something....

S

shauncavett

Looking at the photo's I can't see the governor spring, but then, I am old and my eye's are no longer good..!.

the choke rod has a spring on it...but the rod to the throttle has no spring.

EngineMan

EngineMan

Photo show's (h) governor spring, do you have it..?

Attachments

S

shauncavett

Photo show's (h) governor spring, do you have it..?

The governor spring is connected under the speed control bracket. Everything shown in the parts diagram is on my lawn mower.

I didn't watch my brother in law remove the old carb...so I didn't pay attention to how the linkages were removed...or how they were connected prior to removal.

EngineMan

EngineMan

Is throttle linkage (e) fitted to governor lever (b)...?

C

chance123

the choke rod has a spring on it...but the rod to the throttle has no spring.

Actually there "is" a spring on the throttle linkage. This spring is to keep play out of between the carb and the governor arm for smoother running.

Try moving the governor arm by hand to see if it moves freely. You should be able to grab the throttle linkage (closest to the engine) and it should move back and forth freely. If it doesn't, find out what it is hanging up on. When doing this, have your throttle control at "low" speed. When things are correct, and you move your throttle control to fast (or choke) you should feel some resistance when trying to move the throttle linkage. This resistance is your governor spring doing its job.

EngineMan

EngineMan

There is a spring on the throttle rod in the photo 1

S

shauncavett

One detail I had mistaken - the throttle is staying open, not closed.

I attached a few more pictures showing the linkages @ low throttle, choke, full throttle, and back to low throttle.

The governor arm moves freely, but from what I see it should move back to close the throttle & it doesn't it. But, even when I move the throttle lever from low to high to low - the linkage doesn't move.

One picture I added shows the spring on the throttle linkage.

Attachments

EngineMan

EngineMan

"One detail I had mistaken - the throttle is staying open, not closed. "

Now that we are sucking the right tit...! check the governor, is it working with you..? one of the jobs for the governor is when the engine is running it will try and close the throttle.

Attachments

C

chance123

When the engine is "not" running and you move the throttle control to fast, the throttle linkage should move to full open.
When you move the throttle control to slow, the throttle linkage won't necessarily go to full close unless the engine is running which activates the governor to slow the engine speed.

S

shauncavett

I appreciate all the help you guys have offered.

After work today I'm headed back out to "fix" this lawn mower.

I'll update my progress this evening.