Kohler Courage SV470-610 engine will not spin

Cregg101

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Friends, :newhere:Thanks for your help in advance. I have a Troy-Bilt mower with a 19 HP Kohler Courage engine. I purchased the mower and the person said the engine was shot, I turned the engine by hand and could hear it grinding, when I got it home I found the noise was from two bolts under the flywheel had backed out enough to bump the teeth on the flywheel. I thought, lucky me, I tried to start it but the starter would not turn it over, I could see the other owner had tried to work on the starter but had caused more harm than good to it (broke the brush plate) I purchased a new starter and though I had this puppy licked. Well no so fast, the new starter will still not turn the engine. I can remover the spark plug and the engine turns fine, no noise turns fast, put the plug back in and it will not spin. It acts like the compression it too high for the starter to turn it.

Any Ideas:anyone:

Thanks

Cregg101

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cool, Thanks for your help:smile:

Cregg101

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Revits,

Thanks for the advice and the link to the manual. It was the exhaust valve, tappet nut had backed off and rocker arm was turned 90 degrees it was not touching valve or push rod. I adjusted valves and mower fired right up :smile: Thanks again :thumbsup: Merry Christmas!!!

Threads
Hi Revits,

Thanks for the advice and the link to the manual. It was the exhaust valve, tappet nut had backed off and rocker arm was turned 90 degrees it was not touching valve or push rod. I adjusted valves and mower fired right up :smile: Thanks again :thumbsup: Merry Christmas!!!

I'm glad you figured it out! Good job! :thumbsup:
Happy Holidays to you, too! :smile: