Kohler Courage Pro SV725

Pijj

Threads
Hey guys I'm new to this site but have been reading to try to solve my problem
My issue I'm having is with this mower is whether the engine is cold or warm I have to choke it to get it started and after the first year the starter started to make a growling noise but it continues to start with the choke on. Could this be a valve issue and if so do they need adjusting? I've looked for the gap specs for the valves but can't find any for this engine to make the adjustment if this is required or could this be a totally different issue than what I think it is.

Pijj

Threads
Anybody out there with a response I've been reading all over and this is driving me nuts

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Valve specs are .004/.006 I suspect the starter noise is due to the rubber piece between the gear and the driver has come apart. Will sound like stepping on cats tail while beating on something metal. Something you may want to try, and I can't really tell you how to do it very easily, but Is the fuel solenoid on the carb getting 12v with the key in the start position.

May need to remove key switch, found out which one of the prongs supplies power to the solenoid, and put a meter between that prong, and the B+ prong and see if you have continuity while holding key in start position.

Pijj

Threads
Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated I'm going to work on it tonight when I get home from work now that I know where to start. I should be able to track the wiring to the fuel solenoid and check those readings and update the forum on what I find out either way with all the problems you advised me with, as the more feedback members respond back the more opportunity for someone to read it who has a similar problem like this and can rectify it.

Pijj

Threads
I went to work on my mower and took off the cover to access the starter I checked the rubber below the gear its solid but when I went to start the mower I noticed the gear engage the flywheel and then lower about 1/2" then raise again it did this continuously throughout while I had the starter engaged. I got sidetracked on another issue I needed to address and when I went to work on the mower again I couldn't find my multimeter I needed to tackle the fuel solenoid, I will post my results when I tackle it.

Pijj

Threads
So I took off the fuel solenoid and hooked it back up to the wire and grounded it on the frame I then turned the key and the solenoid engaged off and on with the position of the key( be careful with this process as when you take the solenoid off you will lose a little gas with it so make sure you wipe it up and ground away from the carb area as to take every precaution not to create a spark near that area). I then unhooked the wire and then tested my voltage to the solenoid and with the key on I was getting 12.65 volts which is good, I then hooked everything back up and cut the grass. The mower now starts without the choke when it is warm I still needed it to fire it up the first time yesterday but that's an improvement. The starter still makes that noise and I talked with a guy I ran into yesterday described what it was doing and he said it sounds like "the driveline on the starter", is that the gear, rubber and shaft at the top of the starter? He said bring it to him on Monday and he will look at it I know the gears look like they are getting worn some. I will post what the conclusion is on the starter early next week.

Pijj

Threads
My problem ended up up being the driveline on the starter but after cleaning the fuel solenoid, changing the spark plugs and adjusting the valves the mower seems to be running fine. Hopefully my issues with this mower are behind me for the year.