Kohler Courage 18 twin cam quit working while mowing

Stosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Troy-Bilt mower quit working today while I was mowing the yard. It suddenly turned off and made a noise like a small piece of metal tinging on something as it shut down. It won't start now and shows no sign of firing. I never worked on an engine like this before and have no Idea what broke. While trying to restart it, it was again making that tinging noise that it made when it quit running. Anyone have any thoughts as to what went out in it?

d_sharier

Threads
Did you check the oil?????? If you are hearing a metal on metal, rotational noise when trying to start the engine, the news is rarely good. I would check the oil and the check to see if each of the pistons are still traveling in there respective cylinders. Engine off, spark plugs removed, using a flashlight to see into the cylinder, turn the engine by hand via the flywheel/ screen on top, and look to see if the piston is still moving as it should. Sometimes it helps to use a wood dowel rod when visibility is low. Stick the dowel down the spark plug hole and rest it against the piston. When the engine is spun over (by hand) it should move the rod back and forth.

Stosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. Yes I checked the oil. That was the first thing I did. I'll check the piston rotation today. The tinging or pinging noise sounds like a small piece of metal hitting against something as the motor spins. It sounds like a ting ting ting ting ting as the motor spins.

possum

Threads
Need to know the age. If its under warranty do not take things apart. Most of the time when those engines go they are gone. So if its under warranty call Kohler and if its not someone on here will know how to troubleshoot it.

Stosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a 2008 Troy-Bilt rider. I pulled the plug and checked the piston and it seems to be moving back and forth normally. I removed the air filter and tried starting it again. With the choke engaged I didn't hear the pinging but it still wouldn't start. I disengaged the choke and tried it again and instead of a pinging, it was a rapid tapping noise as if something was hitting against something else. Evidently the air filter was muffling the sound.

possum

Threads
Sounds like one of your valves has a problem. Take the valve cover off and turn the engine by hand and observe their function. 08 is a good run for a Courage single. If the valves have never been adjusted that may be needed or it could be worse. Just look and let us know. Everyone wants to know they just don't want to admit it. Best of luck.

DaveTN

Threads
Sounds like one of your valves has a problem. Take the valve cover off and turn the engine by hand and observe their function. 08 is a good run for a Courage single. If the valves have never been adjusted that may be needed or it could be worse. Just look and let us know. Everyone wants to know they just don't want to admit it. Best of luck.

Like Possum said, it's likely in the valves, push rods. On OHV engines, there's only a small amount of pushrod to rocker arm clearance. If that gets too far out
of adjustment the push rods can rattle and later bend. The tapping is a warning for now. It can only get worse. Good luck with it.

Stosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled the valve cover off and found one of the retainer C-clips for the valves laying in the valve cover. I don't know how that managed to come off. It doesn't look damaged at all. The valve shaft is sitting about half an inch below the valve spring. I'll try and put it back on, check the valve adjustments, and see what happens unless you would advise otherwise.

Stosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just finished removing the rocker arm and found that the valve retainer clip had ripped through the valve spring cap. I'm wondering if this is a job that a novice such as myself should be tackling? I'm what is called a shade tree mechanic when it comes to working on my cars and trucks but I have never tackled a lawnmower engine before.

Last edited:

DaveTN

Threads
I just finished removing the rocker arm and found that the valve retainer clip had ripped through the valve spring cap. I'm wondering if this is a job that a novice such as myself should be tackling? I'm what is called a shade tree mechanic when it comes to working on my cars and trucks but I have never tackled a lawnmower engine before.

It's not that big of a deal really. Get a new spring retainer cap, borrow a small valve spring compressor, and compress it enough to put the valve keeper (retainer) back on and let the pressure back off and you should be fine. Turn it by hand through a few rotations to see that things stay in place before you fire it back up and you're back on line. I have worried with and wiggled springs and keepers without a valve spring compressor and it can be done, just takes longer. Needle-nose pliers, or small channel lock pliers to press on the spring, but it's tough holding the spring back to get the retainer locked in, but it can be done! You'll have to learn to do it sometime and no time like the present. So what if it takes several attempts? Good Luck!