Kohler ch740 27hp no spark

Winger

Threads
Hi guys, I just finished putting my engine back together and now I have no spark. The engine fired before I tore it down but now nothing. It's a project mower I'm putting back together so its been a slow process, but winter is over here and my grass is thickening rapidly LOL. I set the air gap at .030 like the manual says. And all wires are good and connected. I checked for ground on both coils like the manual says and I have no ground off the coils. Is it time to upgrade to the DSAI coils? Not sure if having the charger on while cranking hurt anything.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spark advance modules require 12v at the module to operate, do you have power to the modules, if not that could be the problem. If there is any way that you could of voltage spiked the modules it may of fried them.

Winger

Threads
Sorry, forgot to mention that too. Yes there is 12v present at the coils.

Torotech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, forgot to mention that too. Yes there is 12v present at the coils.

When you said you set the gap at .030, were you talking about the plug gap or gap between coils and flywheel magnet? .030 seems to much. The coil gap is generally about .010 or a business card thickness....

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are 3 different types of ignition systems used on these engines, which one do you have..?

Winger

Threads
Got it figured out....... Stupid kill wire! Thanks for the help all