kohler ch20

tedmamou

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a kohler ch20/64751 engine that had been partially taken apart. Does this type of engine have thrust washers? Is so, does it have the needle type washer and what is the best way to check the crankshaft end play?

Thanks

chance123

Threads
you have the spec number?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This website should have a manual which should answer most of your questions. If you have more questions please post.

tedmamou

Forum Newbie
Threads
you have the spec number?

I' m not sure what the spec number is but it is a 64751 which is might be what you are asking for. The engine goes on a 2006 Cub Cadet UTV 4x4--if this helps.

Thanks,

tedmamou

Forum Newbie
Threads
This website should have a manual which should answer most of your questions. If you have more questions please post.

Did look at the service manual for this particular engine but it does give specifics about whether this engine uses thrust washers or not. Is there another manual that you know of that could answer this question for me. Seems to be a lot of crankshaft movement which makes me believe that it does need thrust washers but since there where none in the parts, just want reassurance and direction, It did say in the manual that some engines use the needle type bearing with the thrust washers--again--not sure.

Thanks,

chance123

Threads
On a lot of the old Kohler engines there are "shims" which are like gaskets that go on the crankcase cover (PTO side) that controls the crankshaft end play.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The parts diagram doesn't show a thrust bearing or shims for that spec number.

chance123

Threads
Yes, you're right no th washer on this engine. I was thinking of the cast iron Kohler engines that used color coded paper gaskets on the end plate.

tedmamou

Forum Newbie
Threads
This engine doesn't use a gasket for the cover plate so after tightening it, there is very little movement of the crank--which tells me that there are no shims that go on this engine. I appreciate all the feedback and help--it's tough when you get an engine that is already apart and you're not sure if all the parts are there. Also, on one of the engine diagrams, it showed some shims but did not list them in the parts---???

Thanks again. Will start putting it all back together later this week--by the weekend should crank it up.