Kohler 7000 chokes and dies after running for short time.

Stook

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler 7000 chokes and dies after running for short time.
Cub XT1 LT46 Mfg 08/22/2018 Model KT725-3078 After running for a short time (5-10 minutes) engine bogs down and dies. Doesn't matter if it is under load or not. I have found I can get it to re-start by spraying some carb cleaner followed by starting fluid directly into the carb but it dies again a short time later. I understand these carbs are not adjustable. Considering rolling the dice on an ebay replacement carb. Engine has 218 hours on it. Oil, plugs, filters changed regularly. Most recently last week. Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20220627_171751239.jpg
    IMG_20220627_171751239.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 5

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
E
Cub XT1 LT46 Mfg 08/22/2018 Model KT725-3078 After running for a short time (5-10 minutes) engine bogs down and dies. Doesn't matter if it is under load or not. I have found I can get it to re-start by spraying some carb cleaner followed by starting fluid directly into the carb but it dies again a short time later. I understand these carbs are not adjustable. Considering rolling the dice on an ebay replacement carb. Engine has 218 hours on it. Oil, plugs, filters changed regularly. Most recently last week. Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks.
Exhaust all other options before buying a cheap Chinese carburetor. Make sure you have good fuel flow to the carburetor. There may be trash in the tank. You may have bad gas in the tank. The pickup line in the tank may be picking up trash that’s bigger than the fuel line. Pull the carburetor bowl and clean it out.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
E

Exhaust all other options before buying a cheap Chinese carburetor. Make sure you have good fuel flow to the carburetor. There may be trash in the tank. You may have bad gas in the tank. The pickup line in the tank may be picking up trash that’s bigger than the fuel line. Pull the carburetor bowl and clean it out.

Also note: Kohler engines in particular do not seem to adapt well to aftermarket carburetors.

GearHead36

Threads

smallengtech

Forum Newbie
Threads
is therre a fuel pump anywhere on the unit could be the pro blem or could be a coil getting hot and causing it to shut off normally would happen when the engine gets hot enough

Stook

Forum Newbie
Threads
is therre a fuel pump anywhere on the unit could be the pro blem or could be a coil getting hot and causing it to shut off normally would happen when the engine gets hot enough
This occurs even when the unit is not hot. Taking stuff apart tonight to explore fuel possibility.

kbowley

Threads
Sounds like the needle valve or jets in the carburetor or a restricted air filter. Don't buy a new Kohler carb until you, or a pro shop, tries to repair it. And DO NOT buy a non-OEM carb, it will not run correctly. The first thing I would do is try running it without the air filter. Next, check fuel flow from the pump to the carb, next, remove the carburetor and clean it thoroughly.

Last edited: