Export thread

Keeping your deck clean

R

RayMcD

What products do you use and how do you keep your deck clean from build-up? thanks Ray

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

The main thing to prevent buildup on the under side is to NOT mow wet grass.
as for the top of the mower a Leaf blower or compressed air does the trick.

R

RayMcD

as for the top of the mower a Leaf blower or compressed air does the trick.
CRZ 48", I looking for ways to keep it from sticking to the bottom, I in GA an it is simply not possible to only mow when it is dry. My only complaint with this machine is it will not process wet grass well. My old Cub Cadet will cut it in a rain storm, never clog and even do a good job. It's 2 blade 38", something tells me I might have been happer with a 2 blade 42".

M

MParr

CRZ 48", I looking for ways to keep it from sticking to the bottom, I in GA an it is simply not possible to only mow when it is dry. My only complaint with this machine is it will not process wet grass well. My old Cub Cadet will cut it in a rain storm, never clog and even do a good job. It's 2 blade 38", something tells me I might have been happer with a 2 blade 42".
I hear you. The grass in Georgia will stay wet with dew until noon or a little later. I’ve been running OEM Gravely/Ariens blades on my Pro Turn 160. They do a decent job however, I can get some buildup too. Sometimes clumps will fall out over the yard and I will have to go over it. The first thing to do is not let your grass go more than seven days before mowing. I try to mow every six days. That’s been pretty hard to follow with the rain we’ve been having. Make sure you deck is leveled and pitched according to the operators manual. I like about 1/4” pitch in the front. When it’s too bad, I will shut it down, raise the deck to transport height, and hose out from under the deck. DO NOT do that with the blades turning. Then continue mowing.
I wanted to try something different. I have used Oregon Gator G3 blades on my formally owned Toros and was not happy with the results. I decided to try the Oregon Gator G6 on my Gravely. I put them on Tuesday and mowed. Boy, was I surprised. The results were fantastic. I didn’t have to recut and I didn’t have clumps falling out from the deck. I may have found my new blades. Time will tell. They are pricey.
Here are the blades. I got mine off Amazon. The seller was PAE Distribution.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/gator®-g6™-blade%2c-16-1-4%22/p/396-716

R

RayMcD

as for the top of the mower a Leaf blower or compressed air does the trick

I use the leaf blower every mow, a nice coat of car wax also does wonders (ya might be a redneck if you wax your mower). As I indicated below, there is no way to avoid wet grass. I recently put a coat of EZ Slide on the bottom. It is much improved but I'm still looking for a better solution. Suggestions are most welcome...

M

MParr

I use the leaf blower every mow, a nice coat of car wax also does wonders (ya might be a redneck if you wax your mower). As I indicated below, there is no way to avoid wet grass. I recently put a coat of EZ Slide on the bottom. It is much improved but I'm still looking for a better solution. Suggestions are most welcome...
Whatever you put on the underside of your deck, it will get blasted off pretty quick. I’ve tried just about anything you can imagine.
Hose off the underside of the deck. Just a garden hose and a spray nozzle. Avoid spraying directly on the spindles. I wouldn’t use a pressure washer. When done hosing off underneath, spray with WD 40. It won’t do a lot to prevent the buildup but, it will dissipate the water.

S

slomo

Mow later in the day as is a couple hours before dark. You have a rider so no big deal far as the heat goes.

G

GJKnoll

I am a fan of both the EZ Slide and the newer Gator blades. Mowing grass later in the day when the dew/moisture has mostly evaporated is also a great suggestion. I have not had to clear my 48" 3 blade deck since treating the deck and keeping sharp blades.

E

efred

If the grass I'm cutting is green, it will build up under the deck of both of my CC mowers, my old 2165, and my new SC 500HW. Fortunately, they have deck washing attachments, which helps somewhat.

I've always wondered if that plastic spray-on bedliner put on without the grit, would work.

G

Gord Baker

I hear you. The grass in Georgia will stay wet with dew until noon or a little later. I’ve been running OEM Gravely/Ariens blades on my Pro Turn 160. They do a decent job however, I can get some buildup too. Sometimes clumps will fall out over the yard and I will have to go over it. The first thing to do is not let your grass go more than seven days before mowing. I try to mow every six days. That’s been pretty hard to follow with the rain we’ve been having. Make sure you deck is leveled and pitched according to the operators manual. I like about 1/4” pitch in the front. When it’s too bad, I will shut it down, raise the deck to transport height, and hose out from under the deck. DO NOT do that with the blades turning. Then continue mowing.
I wanted to try something different. I have used Oregon Gator G3 blades on my formally owned Toros and was not happy with the results. I decided to try the Oregon Gator G6 on my Gravely. I put them on Tuesday and mowed. Boy, was I surprised. The results were fantastic. I didn’t have to recut and I didn’t have clumps falling out from the deck. I may have found my new blades. Time will tell. They are pricey.
Here are the blades. I got mine off Amazon. The seller was PAE Distribution.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/gator®-g6™-blade%2c-16-1-4%22/p/396-716
Try cutting your grass shorter every time.

G

Gord Baker

With a 2" wide long handled scraper, give it a scrape after every couple mowings. At the end of the season, turn it upside down, remove blades for sharpening and using the used oil you just drained out lather it on the underside and let sit over night on a gravel area. Check Belt and spindles and Idlers and store for Spring. Charge Battery every 2 months. I put blocks under the frame so I don't destroy a tire with a slow leak. Have a Budweiser and get your shots.

M

MParr

Try cutting your grass shorter every time.
Right! Not possible where I live. I don’t have a nice sodded and rolled one acre lot.

O

oldgearhead

What products do you use and how do you keep your deck clean from build-up? thanks Ray
I have tried several products over the years and have found Amsoil Mudslinger to work the best. The first time I tried it was after I cleaned the underside of the deck, allowed it to dry and then sprayed liberally with mudslinger. I have found it to easily work a month or more. During the fall of the year, here in western Kentucky we have very heavy morning dew. I have not had an issue since switching to this Amsoil product.

S

slomo

I too do the used oil trick. Paints don't last. Cut dry grass if possible. I go out in the blazing heat of the day, right before dark.

D

davisjt1977

Anyone got opinions on WoolWax for such use??

R

RayMcD

I am a fan of both the EZ Slide and the newer Gator blades. Mowing grass later in the day when the dew/moisture has mostly evaporated is also a great suggestion. I have not had to clear my 48" 3 blade deck since treating the deck and keeping sharp blades.
I'm giving EZ Slide a try, have the done the entire bottom.

S

SamB

I am NOT going to comment on the product OR the couple pictured on the label. BUT I sure want to! LOL!

S

slomo

I am NOT going to comment on the product OR the couple pictured on the label. BUT I sure want to! LOL!
WOW, I didn't look close at that. Nice catch!! Safety third LOL.

R

Ranchito

If the grass I'm cutting is green, it will build up under the deck of both of my CC mowers, my old 2165, and my new SC 500HW. Fortunately, they have deck washing attachments, which helps somewhat.

I've always wondered if that plastic spray-on bedliner put on without the grit, would work.
I've wondered about bedliner too and applied it in the early spring. I'll report the results at the end of the heavy mowing season, maybe November.

peteco

peteco

Garden hose, blower air flow and DW40. Never wet grass if possible.

R

RayMcD

With a 2" wide long handled scraper, give it a scrape after every couple mowings. At the end of the season, turn it upside down, remove blades for sharpening and using the used oil you just drained out lather it on the underside and let sit over night on a gravel area. Check Belt and spindles and Idlers and store for Spring. Charge Battery every 2 months. I put blocks under the frame so I don't destroy a tire with a slow leak. Have a Budweiser and get your shots.
Sir, your storage tip is good advice, once the leaves are gone I will leave my machine tires off the floor. Cheers, Ray

bkeller500

bkeller500

I just looked at my deck after 3 mowings..........after 3- brushed-on applications of EZ slide and 72 hours of cure. It's gone! The deck is clean down to the paint ( no grass build up ) but I didn't expect much because my deck stays pretty clean anyway. I wanted to try the EZ Slide on my new Simplicity deck as I had a 1/2 can left over from my old John Deere deck ( which it didn't stick on very well either). I had tried some of the sprays in the past and NONE of them worked very well. It may help with easier cleaning of the deck for 1 or 2 mowings, but it won't last long. As said before......WET grass will increase the likelihood of build up under your deck. Air flow and sharp blades will be the best deterrent to a build up issue. That being said, there is no harm in coating the deck if it helps the clean-up process.

S

slomo

I would scuff the deck up with a wire wheel or brush. Then hit it with your choice of non stick goo.