Export thread

Kawasaki twin cylinder engines maintenance

R

RayMcD

Otherthan blowing is off with compressed air, what do you do the clean the top of a twin cylinder Kawasaki engine? thanks Ray

S

SeniorCitizen

vacuum or air but be certain the area between the engine head and the shroud is clean too . That air flow can be determined while the engine is running by holding our hand down around the spark plugs . It's possible for a mouse build a nest in that area overnight . That may not be possible for some that house the mower .

I use a clothes dryer vent brush w/flexable shaft to handle (see image) to push down between each of the cylinder fins (I remove blower housing for this end of each mow season

1710557818293.jpeg

S

SeniorCitizen

The brush reminds me of one i modified to clean Cottonwood blooms from Condenser coils .
Cut the handle off , chuck it in your drill and spin it for troublesome areas . Yes sir , i've done many things in my life other people don't do .;)

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Otherthan blowing is off with compressed air, what do you do the clean the top of a twin cylinder Kawasaki engine? thanks Ray

Remove engine shroud and cylinder head tins and visually inspect engine and cooling fins for dirt, grass, and debris. Use a screwdriver, wire brush and air compressor air gun to remove debris as needed. Supposed to be checked annually, although many are seldom or never checked and cleaned. I clean several engines each year this way for customers every year. Engine will probably eventually overheat if not cleaned, and then more problems and expense.

G

Gescha

Compressed air is your best choice.
People who wash their engines are causing slow death to it.
Once a year or so, it may be worth removing the shroud and other covers to do a really good cleaning between fins.

R

RayMcD

Once a year or so, it may be worth removing the shroud and other covers to do a really good cleaning between fins.
Gentlemen, thanks, I have removed the engine cal couple time and used compressed air to blow it clean as recommended. I just wanted to make sure that was sufficient. I do like the idea of the long round brush and don't see that causing a problem. Last thing I would be inclinde to do is to flush the engine with water.
My storage building is very tight and I keep rodent traps loaded all the time as a back up. Never have I had problem them in the building, they did do terrible number on my daughter car several years back while it sat under the car cover, Cheer All, Ray

I do like the idea of the long round brush and don't see that causing a problem.
Ray- That is just if you see lots of debris between the cylinder fins. It's a very effective tool, imo.

I never use water, just compressed air.

D

davis2

I use a leaf blower. They are also great for blowing water off your car after a wash. It reduces water spots

D

davis2

Gentlemen, thanks, I have removed the engine cal couple time and used compressed air to blow it clean as recommended. I just wanted to make sure that was sufficient. I do like the idea of the long round brush and don't see that causing a problem. Last thing I would be inclinde to do is to flush the engine with water.
My storage building is very tight and I keep rodent traps loaded all the time as a back up. Never have I had problem them in the building, they did do terrible number on my daughter car several years back while it sat under the car cover, Cheer All, Ray
Get a cat.

I use a leaf blower. They are also great for blowing water off your car after a wash. It reduces water spots
Yep, same here, easy to blow off a waxed machine.. And I wax my toys.

D

davis2

Yep, same here, easy to blow off a waxed machine.. And I wax my toys.
Yeah the wife's truck usually gets the spa treatment... I'm too busy with chores to do my own.

Hear ya man. I just make time, for my stuff.. Wife can wash her Lincoln. Actually she goes to local brushless wash. .

R

RayMcD

Get a cat.
I'd rather drown the little buggers, r

S

SeniorCitizen

I washed a ford P U engine with a very scant amount of water . It's no fun walking home .

It's no fun walking home .
Nope, been there..

BubbaSam

BubbaSam

I've read all of the replies about the cleaning of the Kawasaki engines and TOTALLY AGREE! I store my mowers in a 3 bay, open face shed, always covered. However that does NOT stop the mice from getting in under the shroud and building nests AND chewing wires. I did just pulled the shroud off and found a nest and and acorns. They also chewed the covering off one of the wires. Harbor Freight has liquid tape for around $20 which worked great.

During storage I do put moth balls in and around which acts as a deterrent.

But, like all the guys said, do this yearly which is EXCELLENT advice if not stored in a critter proof area or you DO run the risk of much more costly happenings later!

Some I have read remove the blower housing after last mow & leave it off till ready for new season..Then re-install.