Export thread

Kawasaki FH500V

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Hi I have a kawasaki fh500v and its leeking oil ALOT,. im not real sure where its coming from, but i thing i may need new gasgets. how hard is it too replace the gasgets on this kind of engine thanks.,

L

Lawnranger

There are a few variables when it comes to this type of repair. Which gasket is leaking, the tools you have and your level of ability. For some people replacing gaskets is a simple procedure and for others it's impossible.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

hi I thing its the gasget that goes on the cilender crankcase that bolts to the top of the engine. i could probably do the job if someone walked me through it

L

Lawnranger

hi I thing its the gasget that goes on the cilender crankcase that bolts to the top of the engine. i could probably do the job if someone walked me through it

Today is your lucky day! Someone has already done the hard work of putting it all into words & pictures for you. Click on the link and find your engine from the list to download a free manual.

"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

Good luck with the repair.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

ok how can i be sure that its leeking from the gasgets

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

BTW thanks for that manuel I tried finding one and couldnt any where free thx micah

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Is it hard to do

L

Lawnranger

ok how can i be sure that its leeking from the gasgets

Clean everything very well and let it dry. Run the engine and look for fresh oil leaking out.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

ok thanks alot i will let you know how it goes

L

Lawnranger

Is it hard to do

See post #2 of this thread.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

ok do you have to tear the engine apart

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

I mean the hole entire thing i will read that manuel im sure it will tell me

L

Lawnranger

ok do you have to tear the engine apart

You have to read the manual and educate yourself before attempting a repair you have not performed previously.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

ok thx

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

can you guys explain the necessary tools? thx

L

Lawnranger

Most of the repairs require only basic hand tools and in the case of Kawasaki you will need metric wrenches and sockets. If you read the free manual you will be instructed as to what special tools are necessary to perform a particular job. Now, go open up the manual and find the section pertaining to the repair you want to perform and read the entire section, several times if necessary, and you will discover what tools you will need. Did I mention that you need to read the manual? If I didn't, go read the manual - get it? Good luck and let us know how it goes. Oh, and by the way, don't forget to read the manual.:smile:

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

sry typo mistake

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

LOL @lawn ranger I will read the manuel where do i buy the gasgets for the project

L

Lawnranger

I'm glad you can see my humor but in all seriousness you need to read before you work on the engine. I use several sources for parts such as my local supplier who sells to me at dealer cost, feeBay, tulsaengienwarehouse.com and remember that google is your friend. There are many suppliers competing for your business so do a little searching around to find the best price/service/shipping, etc. that meets your needs.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

can you point me too the page that it is on I cant find it

L

Lawnranger

can you point me too the page that it is on I cant find it

Since we both live in Texas, how about I come over and hold your hand through the whole process? LOL Did you read the section headings in the manual yet? Try reading the section headings for the job you want to perform and start there. By the way, you never mentioned what job you want to perform. If you have an engine gasket to replace then try engine the engine dis-assembly section.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

I did but i couldnt find it

L

Lawnranger

My oh my. Try section 7

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

ok where in tx do you live?

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

It doesn't really say how to replace the gaskets?

L

Lawnranger

It doesn't really say how to replace the gaskets?

I think you are better off letting a professional tackle this particular job.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

they want 400.00 to do it

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Is it realy that harrd Im pretty good at this kind of stuff just wanted to get some tips

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

where in tx do you live

L

Lawnranger

I don't give out personal information for the whole world to see.

cpurvis

cpurvis

they want 400.00 to do it

You will probably do more than $400 in damage to this engine if you try this yourself.

Just going by the questions asked, such as what are the necessary tools, tells me you have no tools and no experience doing this sort of repair. This is not the place to start.

Get a second opinion to see if the $400 estimate is reasonable. Then, hire the shop to do the repair. You'll come out WAY ahead.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

I was just wondering where just to see how close you where to me:) @lawnranger

L

Lawnranger

You will probably do more than $400 in damage to this engine if you try this yourself.

Just going by the questions asked, such as what are the necessary tools, tells me you have no tools and no experience doing this sort of repair. This is not the place to start.

Get a second opinion to see if the $400 estimate is reasonable. Then, hire the shop to do the repair. You'll come out WAY ahead.

I agree 100%

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

i may end up doing that however i am pretty sure i can do this with a few pointers

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

off subject but what does bronze member mean?

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

P.S i have the tools or can get them

cpurvis

cpurvis

i may end up doing that however i am pretty sure i can do this with a few pointers

Just to figure out what kind of pointers you might need, why don't you tell us about some successful engine repairs you've done in the past? Cars, trucks, motorcycles, mowers...anything.

Trying to figure out where your self confidence is coming from.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

I have 5 mechanics In our neighborhood would be more than happy to come help me do it. I have helped rebuild top end of a old 280 . I probaly have the tools and i want to save the 400.00 +tax With the mechanics and this forum i think i can do it

cpurvis

cpurvis

Good luck.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

thank you will get pics later today

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

I just took apart he whole entire engiine checked all the seals and it was the crankcase cover gasget was torn right were it was leeking from I got a new one and I am about to put it on Im hoping that will fix it. @ lawn ranger and cpurvis

L

Lawnranger

I just took apart he whole entire engiine checked all the seals and it was the crankcase cover gasget was torn right were it was leeking from I got a new one and I am about to put it on Im hoping that will fix it. @ lawn ranger and cpurvis

Tell me, now that you got that far into the engine to replace a gasket, was it difficult or easy?

And, did you figure out how to "replace" a gasket without the book or anyone else telling you how?

You asked these questions in previous posts in this thread and I said it depends on your level of ability and tools available so please answer the above two questions for us so we can better help others.

Thanks for your cooperation

PS how about those pictures you promised?

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Tell me, now that you got that far into the engine to replace a gasket, was it difficult or easy?

And, did you figure out how to "replace" a gasket without the book or anyone else telling you how?

You asked these questions in previous posts in this thread and I said it depends on your level of ability and tools available so please answer the above two questions for us so we can better help others.

Thanks for your cooperation

PS how about those pictures you promised?

I thought it was pretty easy. And I looked at the Manuel be for I took it apart. No one helped me and I'm 15 so if I can do it I'm sure anybody else you are helping can do it. I was having trouble uploading the pics but I will try again later

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Im still having trouble uploading pics can you explain how?

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Its saying pics are too big

L

Lawnranger

Its saying pics are too big

Make them smaller. Since you are 15 you should know all about how to resize pictures. When you figure it out, tell us old guys how so we can post pictures, too.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

I don't know how to make them smaller......yet will let you know if I can figure that out.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

zero turn 108.jpg

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

zero turn 102.jpg

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

zero turn 107.jpg

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

zero turn 103.jpg

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

sorry they are so small.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

This is the gasket I bought just waiting for it to come in..Kawasaki Crankcase Cover Gasket 11060 7008 110607008 FH451V FH500V FH541V FH580V | eBay

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

I got it fixed thanks for all your help

reynoldston

reynoldston

Nothing to that job. Remove engine, sit on kitchen table, tool required screwdriver and pliers, 15 minute job and you will be mowing grass.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

It took me a couple hours since it was my first time:laughing:

M

Molerj

Nothing to that job. Remove engine, sit on kitchen table, tool required screwdriver and pliers, 15 minute job and you will be mowing grass.

For real reynoldston? He changed the gasket not the oil seal.