Just bought a new x300 and wanted to share some observations

sedaliaterry

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Just bought a new x300 and wanted to share some observations
It was time to retire my 11yr old Craftsman from the pasture. I have 5 acres, 1.5 of which I mow (I do not bag). It is very uneven ground with lots of hills, ditches, trees, and fence line. The old Craftsman 42in has a 20hp B&S, with 5 speed hand shift transmission. Last year I changed the belts for the 1st time, had to put new front tires on, and replaced the front bushings. I went through a set of blades every season, sharpening them 3-4 times each season (I am anal about blades). I could never mow faster than 3rd, generally having to keep it in 1 or 2 especially when the grass got tall, and often had left overs which had to be re-mowed. It usually took me 4 hours and 1 tank (4.3 gal) to complete the circuit. I cannot complain much about the Craftsman, it got the job done (as slow going as it was), and I got my money out of it, especially working it as hard as I did.

For the new tractor, I wanted to spend around $2500 (but was willing to go more to get what I wanted). I wanted something with at least 22-25 horsepower, and nothing bigger than a 48in deck. Reading the forums it was clear that hydrostatic transmission with foot pedals was the preference. I noted the concerns over the transmission models vs mowing conditions, and resulting longevity. After looking at various tractors at the box stores, I had my own concerns over some of the pedal implementations for reverse. I sometimes find myself in unbalanced situations and need reverse fast, and felt some of the pedal implementations would make this difficult (in particular, the ones with pedals coming up through the foot rest requiring a heel or the flat of your foot to depress). I was looking hard at the JD D140, but it has this (IMO) poor pedal configuration. I decided to go to a dealer and try one (something you cannot do at a box store generally). Ends up as expected, I did not like the reverse pedal implementation.

Now I was aware of the JD X series tractors from the forums and online research I had done, but they are obviously more expensive. While at the dealer, I tried an x300. The pedals are totally different (real pedals), and the entire overall feel is heavy duty. The Kawasaki engine is only 17hp though, so that was a concern, but from what I had read, it has the torque and power efficiency over larger engines to get the job done. The sales guy did not have to up-sale me, I did it myself based on what I saw. I went with the x300 42in deck costing right at $3k (came with the free little dump cart although that was not a factor). I was hoping I could over time justify the extra $500.

First mow was yesterday. The grass was tall because of all the rain. Started it up and quickly noticed how quiet the Kawasaki is. I also quickly noticed how fast I could mow with it, and how much I liked the hydrostatic and pedal controls vs the old hand shift/clutching. WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO THE OLD CRAFTSMAN. It was so fast, I got the entire job (which use to take 4+ hours) done in about 2.5 hours. I only had to mow once (no leftovers). Also, it burned less than half of the 3.5gal tank. I figure these days at about $15/tank (sounds obscene for a lawn mower), that this will be a pretty good savings over time (something that is sometimes lost in mower considerations and discussions). There are some things I do not like. The seat safety switch is so touchy, I could not hardly move without it shutting things down. I need to use some body english on the sides of some of the hills and ditches, so this makes it hard. Also, a locking rear axle would have been nice (got stuck backing up a hill and found the x300 to heavy to push unlike the old Craftsman).

I still have some things to get use to, but dang, I can say for a fact that already, I have no regrets paying the extra $500 to get this level of tractor. The time and gas $ it will save me (not to mention how much fun I had :smile:) will more than make up for that. Did I say how much I like the hydrostatic and pedals (most of you have long been aware of that though). I do not mean for this to sound like I am preaching brand here, just want to suggest you get a good one whatever it is, and to point out that there may be some factors not considered in the purchase sometimes that may make up some $$. Sorry for the long post...

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to this great forum....

Glad you are enjoying your new machine... mowing should always be fun.!!

Sometime back there was a short discussion about 'will $5 gasoline change the way you mow?.....
at the time there were a couple comments that they couldn't see fuel ever getting near that high. Price was on the move to that recently and we now have a temp break in the rise...

BUT you have again pointed out the long term savings in a more efficient mower... keep us posted as you mow with that new x300... :smile:KennyV

sedaliaterry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny, I will let you know how it progresses through the summer. As I said, can't complain about the Craftsman, but some extra $$ (which may in the end pay for themselves) and you get a whole different experience.

Regards,

Terry

Black Bart

Threads
I had a Craftsman mower and like yours if the grass was tall I had to mow twice the first time over left uncut grass and I had to mow in first gear.

Sold it and bought a new JD and could not believe the difference.
It mowed faster, looks much better and uses less fuel.

Yesterday I picked up a new JD ZTR have not mowed with it yet but I'm sure it will do a nice job.

AndySKane

Threads
Congrats on the new JD. My brother bought a X300 earlier this year and he loves it.

A few years ago I got rid of my old Ariens HT16 that had a manual shift transmission and got a Cub 2518 with hydro tranny. Amazing difference in mowing time. With the Ariens I couldn't mow faster than 2nd gear or 1st if the grass was too high, constantly shifting between reverse and forward, and it had a really crappy turning radius. I probably took an hour off my mowing time. The big problem I had was that the speeds were constant and usually you need a speed between the set gears. I needed a six speed manual to include a 1-1/2 and 2-1/2 gear. The 1988 Ariens was rugged as a tank, however.

sedaliaterry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Andy,

LOL, I know the feeling about constantly shifting. On my old machine, I would slug along in 1st or 2nd between obstacles just to avoid it (adversely affecting time to complete of course and just no fun either).

Terry

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Don't you just love it when you stretch a little ($) and the first time out of the box confirms your decision? A cheap price is soon forgotten, but quality brings a smile to your face everytime you use it.