Just a word of Advice to Craftsman Riding lawnmower owners

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Just a word of Advice to Craftsman Riding lawnmower owners
Now you know why I insist on equipment numbers. So many think every engine or mower is the same setup and they are not.

Just taking a break from a disappointing repair where I thought I just need a cylinder head for a FR730 when instead someone had ran it without oil and destroyed the engine block along the piston and rod. A whole morning wasted.
If you have not got one, get a bore-o-scope and get a good one
I have 2
A cheap hand held that I keep in the truck & a much better one with a thinner head that plugs into a PC ( Yes the Apple man does have a windoze box ) for the workshop .
It has taken a long time for me to get used to using it but it has saved so much time as a low compression or stiff engine can be looked at while the customer is there with me .
I don't charge for quotes so it is really easy to pull the plug. shove the scope in and show the customer internal damage .
It really works well in peak periods because the customer gets an answer then & there , not 2 weeks latter when their grass is knee deep .

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have been waiting in line at the parts counter at the JD dealer and can't believe how stupid grown men can be. Things i have heard.
I don't know the model number. I bought it here. Don't you know it? I need a chain for my saw. It's a stihl. I need blades for my mower. It's a 42 or a 48 not sure which. I need a new belt. (holds up a completely shredded belt). I need a new spark plug. I would last about 1 day working the parts counter before i had to off someone.
Then customers get upset with the parts guy, technicians basically gets an attitude with the customer because they can never seem to be able to provide simple information. And years ago a customer could walk into a mower shop and say I need a certain part for my 5hp Briggs tiller engine and everybody knew what they were talking about. Now in some cases you can't even use the model number you have to use the serial number to access the parts diagrams.

And I can't even remember how many times I have made a loop of chain for somebodies Stihl saw, when they didn't supply the saw or chain at the time, and then have it come back that the chain won't fit in the groove, and come to find out I made the standard .063 chain but they have replaced the bar with an Oregon .050.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have not got one, get a bore-o-scope and get a good one
I have 2
A cheap hand held that I keep in the truck & a much better one with a thinner head that plugs into a PC ( Yes the Apple man does have a windoze box ) for the workshop .
It has taken a long time for me to get used to using it but it has saved so much time as a low compression or stiff engine can be looked at while the customer is there with me .
I don't charge for quotes so it is really easy to pull the plug. shove the scope in and show the customer internal damage .
It really works well in peak periods because the customer gets an answer then & there , not 2 weeks latter when their grass is knee deep .
Those work really well while the customer is there because they can see what you see and there is no question about the damage.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
The line "lets have a quick look" works really well
Even better is I don't end up breaking off exhaust bolts that are corroded solid in the engine
I use very old computer gear , mainly because the old stuff works better & I don't have to spend countless hours relearning how to use the apps
However I am not adverse to using modern technology
So along with the bore-o-scopes are a variety of cheap video cameras for use when a customer has a deck belt problem
I use SJ 4000's ( cheap Go Pro knock offs ) and some motorcycle / pushbike mounts , clip them on the tell the customer to go mow my yard & show me what is happening .
Then I can play back , find the point where the belt jumps off then replay that section on step frame mode so they see the floppy tension arm throw the belt off.
Then there is no arguement about the $ XYZ estimate for new pulley , tension arm & spring or even the spindle replacement.
So they go away thinking the spindle is deceased with a quote for replacements and come back feeling really good when I bill them for new bearings at a much lower cost .
A bit of showmanship but it makes a $ 500 + bill a lot more pallitable & the customer does not go away thinking I have invented problems in order to extract more money from them.
It was not intended that way but being a single person workshop is was hard to make a belt fail while watching the deck .
People think I am an ape but the arms are not that long
Then when I told a customer how I found the problem that 2 other shops could not fix they wanted to see the footage for themselves , thus it all started .

Cusser

Threads
I have a 2005 model Sears Craftsman LT1000, purchased new. When I originally looked up the tractor drive belt and mower deck belts using the part numbers in the owner's manual, they were listed at about 1/4 inch different in length. Since then I just use A93K (½ inch x 95 inch) belt for both, and it works fine. Yes, recommend Kevlar belts.

And, no - I do not remove the deck from the tractor to install a new belt, the instructions in the manual state to do this, not necessary. The plastic cover on the left side comes off, then the new deck belt goes on.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think the problem may be some are lying about what they are measuring the belt with. :)
Could be...I use a standard v-belt measuring tool with three extensions to reach 200 inches.

I even had Stens to tell that the tool is no good at measuring v-belts yet they sell the same tool for that purpose. I do know mine is accurate as I have cut belts after measuring them the tape measure comes with nearly identical figures.

Yes I understand belt stretch under load but our purpose we don't measure them under those loads.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most folks don't realize that some belts are measured on the inside circumference. A B C and D classical or industrial belts and some are measured on the outside circumference. FHP 3L 4L and 5L belts and there is a 2" difference between an A belt and a 4L belt and a 3" difference between a B belt and a 5L belt. Plus the fact that some OEM belts that list the length may be for an A B C industrial belt and some may be in FHP 3L 4L or 5L. JD does this a lot depending on The application. Most mowers use belts in clutching applications which are usually FHP belts but some nonclutching application they use an industrial A B C belt. Then you have the turd manufacturers who purposely design machines to use odd size belts with no adjustment so you really need OEM belts or exact equivalent.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most folks don't realize that some belts are measured on the inside circumference. A B C and D classical or industrial belts and some are measured on the outside circumference. FHP 3L 4L and 5L belts and there is a 2" difference between an A belt and a 4L belt and a 3" difference between a B belt and a 5L belt. Plus the fact that some OEM belts that list the length may be for an A B C industrial belt and some may be in FHP 3L 4L or 5L. JD does this a lot depending on The application. Most mowers use belts in clutching applications which are usually FHP belts but some nonclutching application they use an industrial A B C belt. Then you have the turd manufacturers who purposely design machines to use odd size belts with no adjustment so you really need OEM belts or exact equivalent.
You give them too much credit
The original designs used standard size belts , then when the tip speed rules change or the decks get bigger etc they just change the parts then plug the details into the belt calculator so it spits out sizes like 217+ 25/32"
However +/- 3% makes next to no difference to most other than a manual PTO that requires belt to slip .
The problem with belt measuring tools is belt tension variations are doubled because you are reading 2 runs
When I took over the business I struggled with getting my head around belts
I spent hours measuring belts old & new all sorts of ways & finally went to the meter long steel rule and a white marker around the back.
Gates usually list belts by outside length & effective length ( ~ 1/3 the distance back to front )
some belts can not be fiddled with but most applications with a spring tensioner & electric PTOs going to a standard length will make no operational difference .
Then there is pulley wear particularly on the engine pulleys so after a few years of heavy use the pulley is worn smaller so the belt sits deeper thus a shorter belt is needed
Vari drives of course are a big exception they must be the exact same length but in most cases +/- an inch or so makes little difference
A touch loose and at worst the blades spin a little slower in very heavy cutting but has the benefit of slipping easier when the customer hits tree roots & other such obsticles .
Too tight & you risk snapping the belt or premature bearing failure.
In the USA it is probably not a problem but down here a lot of factory belts go better than $ 300
To satisify my curosity I have cut loads of factory belts in half to see the layout of the reinforcement cords & their sizes ( worn out ones of course ) and comparred these to the OEM spec belts I get from my suppliers and in most cases the belts are the same .
The reinforcement in the std size belts is usually thicker rope with fewer strands but in use it seems to make little to no difference and if the customer goes through a belt every 3 years or so the $ 100 cheaper is not that much of a saving but if they do 4 belts a year like the commercial customers do then that is a big difference
On average deck belts seem to have thicker reinforcement strands than drive belts do
So when ever I get a mower in that I have not worked on before one of the first things is to go to Gates & look up the belt
Then go to the wholesalers "belts by length" listing and see what is available around that size
A 1/4" on a belt under 100" will make absolutely no difference , in fact 1" will make no difference in anything over 50"