John Deere manufactured by Scotts clicks no start

Mow2Mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clicks as soon as the key is turned on, before turning to start the engine. Turning key further to engage the starter results in no starter engagement.
Thinking battery, not it. Thinking stater and solenoid, not it. I removed the stater/solenoid and turned the key to the on position and hear the click.
The sound seems to emanate from the front left of the engine. I couldn't isolate the location of the sound. It is easy to hear. Rocking the key on/off, results in persistent clicks.
Is this happening because of some safety switch or something? Was mowing and engine just shut off. Help please.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clicking is probably the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb kicking in, that’s good. Remove the air cleaner and spray some carb cleaner directly into the carb throat. If the engine fires, but dies, you have a fuel problem. If the engine doesn’t fire go to the auto parts store and get a spark tester, around $10. We need to figure out if you have a fuel or ignition problem. When you report back be sure to include all engine numbers so we know what you are dealing with.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Clicks as soon as the key is turned on, before turning to start the engine. Turning key further to engage the starter results in no starter engagement.
Thinking battery, not it. Thinking stater and solenoid, not it. I removed the stater/solenoid and turned the key to the on position and hear the click.
The sound seems to emanate from the front left of the engine. I couldn't isolate the location of the sound. It is easy to hear. Rocking the key on/off, results in persistent clicks.
Is this happening because of some safety switch or something? Was mowing and engine just shut off. Help please.
Cross the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and key is on and see if it starts.

Last edited:

Bertrrr

Threads
Make sure it's not your clutch clicking on b/c your blade switch is in the on position , it will not let you start.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Make sure it's not your clutch clicking on b/c your blade switch is in the on position , it will not let you start.
Good point if it has an electric PTO.

No to know as the OP hasn't posted the mower's model number which leaves us just guessing.

Mow2Mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
First off, thank you all for the bits of advice. It really helped out.
This motor is the Model No. CV725S
Rivet's advice led me to ignore the clicking sound and move on to focus on the starter. I tested voltage on the purple'ish wire to the solenoid, thinking it should provide 12 volts to activate the starter when the key is turned to the cranking position. No 12 volts. I didn't know why but would later learn why.
Tiger Small Engine led me to jump the solenoid. Starter would spin but not engage the flywheel. This is my brothers tractor/mower. I explained the fastest fix is replace the starter/solenoid. He's not mechanically minded so I walked him through removing the starter so he could install the new one. All good there. Next day, he gets the starter from O'Reilly's and I tell him give me a call if he needs help. Well, he calls and say's he has installed the new starter but has the same problem. I show up to see what's what.
Bertrrr and StarTech should be happy to know, My first reaction was to jump the solenoid, the mower started right up.
My brother then points out that the blades were spinning when it started, glad I kept my feet clear. My brother then explains that the yellow knob was in or out or what ever activates the blades. Probably explains why the purple'ish wire did not provide the 12v while the key was in crank position. He pulls or pushes in the yellow knob and successfully starts the lawn tractor. All is well in his world, I am happy to have helped him out and grateful to those of you that helped me out.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the starter apart. Clean the shaft the Bendix rides on. Polish her up good. Reinstall and test. This is the fastest fix for THIS issue. Could be something else causing this as others have said.

Mow2Mow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take the starter apart. Clean the shaft the Bendix rides on. Polish her up good. Reinstall and test. This is the fastest fix for THIS issue. Could be something else causing this as others have said.
Yes and thank you for the reminder. Cleaning the mower deck top and bottom is the hardest part for me though. :)