John Deere LA175 Transmission Locked up.

ljn43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought this riding mower new 2008. Never any problems with it until now. I let my Son & his grown son borrow it to mow the grandsons yard and vacant lot next to his house. When they returned it, all that I was told was that "one side is working and one side isn't"! They left it loaded on the trailer and I didn't think anything else about it. Until I went out a little over a week later to unload it and do a little mowing around the house. It wouldn't move at all! I had to push it off of the trailer! :mad: Of course they are both working out of town and won't be home for another week. I've got it jacked up and on blocks. I can't even get it to disengage. :confused2: ANY INFO, HELP WITH WHERE TO START WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! :smile:

DaveTN

Threads
Usually when the transaxle locks up it's either seizure, impact damage (gear teeth knocked out), bearing failure and possible disintegration of it, mostly lack of lubrication it seems. I loaned out my 10 HP Craftsman rider a couple of weeks ago to a friend. Couple of days ago he heard a loud clang and the engine stopped. Starter spun but wouldn't engage! What happened is she threw a rod right behind the starter and knocked it out about 1/4". I cautioned him to keep a close eye on the oil level since it is an oil burner but who knows what happened. I have yet to do the autopsy on it to determine cause of failure. Could have been a loose rod bolt for all I know. I hate to loan out equipment as we both know what can happen. With your tranaxle have you tried rocking it back and forth? That's with a regular transaxle. Don't know what to tell you as it's hydrostatic since you said one side worked and one side locked up! Wheel hydro motors aren't cheap. Send the repair bill to your son.