John Deere LA110 wont start

docal97

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone.

This is my first post. I recently got my first John Deere, a used LA110. Its in very good shape.

When I got it, I did a tuneup, including an oil change, fuel and air filter. On my lawn, it seems to run fine, starts right up without issues, and runs strong.

My son will occasionally mow a neighbors lawn, which is very thick, much thicker than mine. This weekend, the mover shut off while trying to mow high grass while set on level 3. The same thing happened last week- my son turned the mower off and it would not restart. I had to push it home. After about an hr or so, it tried to start, you could hear it try to kick over, but it just wouldn't.

I took the battery out and took it to the dealer, and they said that it was fine. I replaced the spark plug. It kicked right over and as stated above, mowed my lawn perfectly. Everything was fine, until my son tried to mow the high grass again. As stated above, it shut off and I had to push it home again.

So I am debating having the dealer pick up it and check it out. But I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts of anything I could try first, or what could be causing the issues that I've described above. The only other thing that I can think of is that the deck needs adjustment, on level 4 the 2 front wheels are uneven, with one touching the ground, and the other one about 2 inches off of the ground.

Thanks for listening and any suggestions.

docal97

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone.

This is my first post. I recently got my first John Deere, a used LA110. Its in very good shape.

When I got it, I did a tuneup, including an oil change, fuel and air filter. On my lawn, it seems to run fine, starts right up without issues, and runs strong.

My son will occasionally mow a neighbors lawn, which is very thick, much thicker than mine. This weekend, the mover shut off while trying to mow high grass while set on level 3. The same thing happened last week- my son turned the mower off and it would not restart. I had to push it home. After about an hr or so, it tried to start, you could hear it try to kick over, but it just wouldn't.

I took the battery out and took it to the dealer, and they said that it was fine. I replaced the spark plug. It kicked right over and as stated above, mowed my lawn perfectly. Everything was fine, until my son tried to mow the high grass again. As stated above, it shut off and I had to push it home again.

So I am debating having the dealer pick up it and check it out. But I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts of anything I could try first, or what could be causing the issues that I've described above. The only other thing that I can think of is that the deck needs adjustment, on level 4 the 2 front wheels are uneven, with one touching the ground, and the other one about 2 inches off of the ground.

Thanks for listening and any suggestions.

An update. This morning I went out and tried to start the tractor, and it started right up with no problems. Is there something on these tractors that caused them to shut off in certain adverse situations? Even if it does such a thing, why would it not restart until the next day? Is this something that I need to be concerned about?

fred74

Forum Newbie
Threads
An update. This morning I went out and tried to start the tractor, and it started right up with no problems. Is there something on these tractors that caused them to shut off in certain adverse situations? Even if it does such a thing, why would it not restart until the next day? Is this something that I need to be concerned about?

My LA 115 would stop too?.there is a vent to the gas tank?.take off the gas cap, and see if it starts?.if it does, the vent is plugged.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any pre-owned mower should have the engine shroud removed to check for mouse nests before attempting to mow grass. Mouse nests inhibit air flow which is the only cooling these little fellers have.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like a heat problem. It could also be a coil. Yes if you don't know what you are doing take it to someone who repairs mowers for a living and can test a part before replacing it. Yes a mouse nest can do a lot of damage also and over heat the engine. I will rule out the gas vent see it only dose it when working hard but also a very simple thing to check.

fred74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well?.what was the problem with your 110?