Engine John Deere LA100

thamajik1

Threads
I have a JD LA100. The first year was great, after that That the battery looses charge sitting in the garage for a week. I have to jump with my truck. I bought a new battery and it does the same problem. It looses charge in between mowing s . I am not sure if it is the charging system, or a short somewhere. Has anyone had this problem? Joe Buscemi

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Joe & Welcome to the Forum...
If the battery is going down while it is setting... the charging system (voltage regulator) nay have a diode shorted out and it is discharging the battery...
If the battery is starting out full charged and is loosing charge while mowing ... again it's most likely the charging system is not charging...
Start by checking if you have a fuse or fuse able link at the starter solenoid ...
That Briggs engine has a tiny 8 amp charger, but you don't have an electric PTO clutch so there is no electrical load ...? :smile:KennyV

thamajik1

Threads
Hello Joe & Welcome to the Forum...
If the battery is going down while it is setting... the charging system (voltage regulator) nay have a diode shorted out and it is discharging the battery...
If the battery is starting out full charged and is loosing charge while mowing ... again it's most likely the charging system is not charging...
Start by checking if you have a fuse or fuse able link at the starter solenoid ...
That Briggs engine has a tiny 8 amp charger, but you don't have an electric PTO clutch so there is no electrical load ...? :smile:KennyV

Thanks Kenny, I kinda thought it was in that direction. I do remember replacing a fuse last summer before I bought the new battery. Something could of taken out the regulator. Would you know where I can get parts for that online.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The charging system will be specific to the engine... Briggs & Stratton 18.5 hp (13.8 kW)...
You will find this check procedure very handy...
http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_replacement.pdf

If you find you need parts there are several good places on line...
One starting point is at B&S... Lawn Mowers Replacement Parts | Shop Briggs & Stratton
Also Ebay is loaded with parts...
But I would not start replacing parts until I knew I needed the part...

Once you find out what is causing your problem.. Post back & it will be easy to find on line.. :smile:KennyV

thamajik1

Threads
Kenny, thanks so much for all your help. It is nice to know that there are people like yourself out there to help. You gave me a good direction to start in. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again, Joe Buscemi.