Export thread

John Deere L111 Won't Start | Clicking Noise | Lights Work

R

rcpollina

Trying to start my JD for the first time this season; battery is charged.
When I go to start it, all I get is a clicking noise, but nothing is turning over.
I've attached a video of the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_0295.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 92

K

KennyV

That sounds like the starter solinoid is Not passing enough current to the starter..
Assuming the battery is able to supply the needed Amperage...
I would first check All the cable connections... BOTH Ends of Each battery cable, positive And negative cable.

They may seem tight, but a little build up of corrosion on the cable ends is what will cause the chatter sound you are experiencing... Remove, clean and reattach the cables. Post back with the results. :smile:KennyV

R

rcpollina

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.
I cleaned the ends and tried but still got the same clicking noise.
I connected the battery to my charger as well, and noticed the 'charged %' drops dramatically as I turn the key and try and start it.

B

bollingball

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.
I cleaned the ends and tried but still got the same clicking noise.
I connected the battery to my charger as well, and noticed the 'charged %' drops dramatically as I turn the key and try and start it.

Could still be the battery try to jump start it and report what happends. What type is the battery? Can you put water in it or is it sealed?

Ken

R

rcpollina

Hi, tried jumping it with the car - no luck.
The battery is unsealed.
Still getting the clacking sound from the solenoid/starter(?)

K

KennyV

Remove Both spark plugs then see if it will turn over... :smile:KennyV

R

rcpollina

OK, I'll try that.
What will removing the spark plugs do?

K

KennyV

It will let you see if the starter Can turn the engine over without a compression cycle... :smile:KennyV

R

rcpollina

I should have asked this before; do the plugs need to be removed, or just disconnected?

midnite rider

midnite rider

Removed to relieve the pressure making it easier for the engine to turn over.:smile:.

R

rcpollina

I tried both ways: disconnecting - same clacking noise; and removed the plugs - same clacking noise.

K

KennyV

With the spark plugs Removed... You need to see if you can turn the engine over By hand...
You either have:
1. Engine seized, locked up and can't turn.
2. Starter jammed in or at the flywheel, or just completely shorted.
3. Solenoid Not energizing the starter, you can jump across the 2 Large terminals with heavy wire to check this.
4. Your Not getting 12 volts to the starter for some Other reason. Measure voltage While experiencing the solenoid chatter.

It has to be one of those 4... :smile:KennyV

R

rcpollina

Sorry, but how do I turn the engine over by hand?

R

rcpollina

My knowledgeable cousin came over, poured a little gas in the carb and it started-up.
He noticed that the choke wasn't closing all the way and adjusted it.
All set now.

K

KennyV

My knowledgeable cousin came over, poured a little gas in the carb and it started-up.
He noticed that the choke wasn't closing all the way and adjusted it.
All set now.

Now I'm Lost... How did the fuel into the carb OR the choke not closing have any effect on the "clicking" sound?? :smile:KennyV

B

bollingball

Now I'm Lost... How did the fuel into the carb OR the choke not closing have any effect on the "clicking" sound?? :smile:KennyV

It didn't

Ken