Export thread

John Deere fuel filter issue

C

Coxster

I'm new here...found the site trying to solve a fuel filter issue I have with my JD yard tractor. All help is certainly appreciated.

I have a JDSTX38 hydro. Had it serviced last week...new blades, oil change, fuel line leak fixed. They also replaced the filter with one that has a clear "bulb" and a bright yellow filter. When mowing yesterday, the engine, after running like a charm for 10-15 minutes, would all of a sudden start a chug-a-lug sound, then cut off. I turned off the fuel line, disconnected it at the fuel filter, then opened the line for gas to go in the bulb. After doing that a time or two until the bulb was real close to full, the tractor start again. It would run 10-15 minutes, then I'd have to go through the ordeal again. Any ideas?

M

Mark1

Try loosening the gas cap and see if it is better?may not be venting enough. Most gas filters do not show that they are full anyhow.

K

KennyV

WELCOME to LMF...

There are also some inline filters that are not very free flowing... unless they have fuel pushed with a good fuel pump they will not keep up with fuel flow...
some have such a small filtering capacity that very little fuel flow will plug them up, if there is anything in the fuel that needs to be filtered out.
Try no filter for a bit and see if the problem goes away.. if it keeps running, look for a free flowing gravity feed filter....:smile:KennyV

B

Briggs92

The paper filters have to go in the line a certain way. There should be an arrow on the filter to show the fuel flow if not then the cap o the filter should go towards the pump

C

Coxster

The paper filters have to go in the line a certain way. There should be an arrow on the filter to show the fuel flow if not then the cap o the filter should go towards the pump

I think I checked that but will do it again. I tell you what, this is somekind of frustrating! I do apprecaite the suggestions.

R

redfish9

Sounds like a fuel pump problem to me,it might be pumping but not enough

C

Coxster

Sounds like a fuel pump problem to me,it might be pumping but not enough

Thanks for the response. I took it to a local guy who works on mowers and he cleaned out the fuel system and things are working fine...now, if I could just get my wife to mow...