Export thread

John deere 425 hard start

C

cfwetzler

My JD 425 has Kawasaki FD620D V twin gas engine. 1464 hours and recently became hard to start.
Cranks and cranks, sputters and back fires and will not start. Plugs are wet, put in dry plugs and may start then.

Replaced electric fuel pump. No change. Dealer suggested ignition delay module, no change.

Removed carb, cleaned and replaced needle valve and fuel shut off solenoid (tested bad)

When cranking without air cleaner see raw fuel pulsing out of carb, back fires, sputters, plugs get wet and no start.

It does not use oil, no other problems. If can get started, will run fine to mow, etc. and will easily re-start when warm. Let sit and she gets real stubborn.

I am at wits end on this - the carb looks so simple (?) but seems to be flooding the engine.

Any thoughts on this - if no help will have to take to dealer as not sure what to do next.

Thanks for the suggestions

C

cfwetzler

I finally got if fixed. The fule shut off module in the bottom of the carb tested bad and was allowing fuel to leak into the manifold. I replaced the needle valve under the float and once correctly adjusted all is fine. Due to lack of rain it has been sitting for about 2 weeks and last night I thought I'd see how it started and was fine. It fired right up, ran fine at full throtle.

L

largo ranch

Sounds like what is happening to mine. 9 months old and 32 hrs on meter. Wont start to point of draining battery. Once started, runs good. Will re start warm but not cold or if has been sitting a few days or more.

C

cfwetzler

It now seems that I only thought that I had it fixed. Was starting better this fall/winter and now has reverted to its old evil ways.

I am back to crank, crank, sputter, sputter, backfire and all. Have to keep grinding starter until it catches and runs, really rough at first then smooths out.

Once warm barely need to touch the key and it is going. Seems to run strong and smooth once warm, no smoke, no sputter.

I think that the next stop will be the dealer as have been through the carb/fuel system and have no idea what to do next.

R

Rivets

I would check the valve, both clearance and if they are sealing properly.

C

cfwetzler

Yeah - I have been thinking about the valves because of the popping/bakfiring. Have already checked valve tappett clearance and is OK.

Guess that I better do a compression check and/or pull the heads.

Thanks for the suggestion - steers my thinking away from the fuel system.

R

Rivets

If you're able to do so, I would do a cylinder leak down test. It will give you a better idea it the valves are the problem.

JoeM(GA)

JoeM(GA)

I have a PDF of the tech manual if needed, shoot me your email if you want it

Joe

PJ

PJ

My JD 425 has Kawasaki FD620D V twin gas engine. 1464 hours and recently became hard to start.
Cranks and cranks, sputters and back fires and will not start. Plugs are wet, put in dry plugs and may start then.

Replaced electric fuel pump. No change. Dealer suggested ignition delay module, no change.

Removed carb, cleaned and replaced needle valve and fuel shut off solenoid (tested bad)

When cranking without air cleaner see raw fuel pulsing out of carb, back fires, sputters, plugs get wet and no start.

It does not use oil, no other problems. If can get started, will run fine to mow, etc. and will easily re-start when warm. Let sit and she gets real stubborn.

I am at wits end on this - the carb looks so simple (?) but seems to be flooding the engine.

Any thoughts on this - if no help will have to take to dealer as not sure what to do next.

Thanks for the suggestions

To me it sounds like timing did you have a suden stop by any chance? Could be a key that was shared causing the misfiring
PJ

M

mac

I finally got if fixed. The fule shut off module in the bottom of the carb tested bad and was allowing fuel to leak into the manifold. I replaced the needle valve under the float and once correctly adjusted all is fine. Due to lack of rain it has been sitting for about 2 weeks and last night I thought I'd see how it started and was fine. It fired right up, ran fine at full throtle.

I'd recheck that fuel shut-off module again. It kind of sounds like you might be getting dirt in the carb somehow.:mad:

C

cfwetzler

Got the 425 started on Saturday to warm up for a compression test. Took off the air cleaner and the base was pretty oily and brown, milky looking oil was oozing out of the creancase vent. Drained the coolant, did not seem to have oil in it, did need changing. No leaks, no declining levels in the system.

Checked oil, looks fine, no evidence of coolant contamination.

Did compression test, got 190 PSI on one side and 195 PSI (max) on other, higher than the 170 mininum in the manual.

Not sure what to do next, it will start and run, once warm starts easily. My neighbor was helping me, he has a 425 also that starts very easily and the base under that air filter is completely dry, no oily residue.

I'm tempted to pull the heads once the weather breaks as I am in an unheated garage in southeatern Michigan.

PJ

PJ

Got the 425 started on Saturday to warm up for a compression test. Took off the air cleaner and the base was pretty oily and brown, milky looking oil was oozing out of the creancase vent. Drained the coolant, did not seem to have oil in it, did need changing. No leaks, no declining levels in the system.

Checked oil, looks fine, no evidence of coolant contamination.

Did compression test, got 190 PSI on one side and 195 PSI (max) on other, higher than the 170 mininum in the manual.

Not sure what to do next, it will start and run, once warm starts easily. My neighbor was helping me, he has a 425 also that starts very easily and the base under that air filter is completely dry, no oily residue.

I'm tempted to pull the heads once the weather breaks as I am in an unheated garage in southeatern Michigan.

Hi
Hard start when cold. Is the choke working or the cold start injection system? Try to ad a little extra fuel with cold start
PJ

B

BOBBIEJOE

Joe

Hey joe mine is doing the same thing could you shoot me the PDF of the tech manual it would help out a lot here is my e mail. Smithbobbiejoe@ yahoo.com ,thanks a lot Bobbiejoe

C

cfritz1

Joe

Please send me tech manual. Thank you. Charlie cfritz1@aol.com

D

daddydoc

Joe

Joe,
I am having problems with my 425 and am in need of a manual--- would it be possible to get a pdf? email daddydoc@hotmail.com

BBO

BBO

...Did compression test, got 190 PSI on one side and 195 PSI (max) on other, higher than the 170 minimum in the manual.
Not sure what to do next, it will start and run, once warm starts easily.

So what is the update on the problem?
I had to put a set of rings in my 445 after about 1000 hours.

A

adamg3138

Joe

do you still have the tech manual in pdf format? wondering if I can get that too. email is adamg7720@ymail.com. thank you. please send if you still have it. id greatly appreciate it.