Export thread

John Deere 116 Not Charging

A

awesomedad

I have an older JD 116 and I cannot get it to charge the battery or find any usefull information on how the stator is supposed to be wired up. Right now if I hook up the diode assembly to the solenoid it doesn't do anything or it will start heating up quickly and still not charge the battery. I have checked the voltage coming from the stator and I am getting 28 volts. By the amount of voltage I should need a regulator? Right? But the other issue is that I am only the second owner of this tractor and the other was my dad he bought it new and it's never had a regulator. I just don't understand how to wire the darn thing in so that I can charge the battery while its running. Please help

R

Rivets

Please post the engine model numbers and we will see if we can help. Can't see what you are talking about without them.

A

awesomedad

Please post the engine model numbers and we will see if we can help. Can't see what you are talking about without them.

Engine B/S
Model 402707
Type 0148-01
H/P 16

EngineMan

EngineMan

Manual that I have shows regulator has 501 (see photo)

The other photo may help you work out what you have.

Attachments

R

Rivets

A

awesomedad

Response to EngineMan

I have been on the B/S web site and found the diagram for the model ranges that include my model number and B/S used about 4 different styles of charging systems. From what I can tell they have two that are regulated and two that are not. I would rather it be regulated I have even tried to figure out how to wire a regulator in but I haven't and I really would just like to fix my problem and be done with it without having to modify too much stuff.

A

awesomedad

Thanks for this I am looking at it now to see if it helps.

EngineMan

EngineMan

Then you will need to find (work out) what AMP system you have, that way you should be able to fit right regulator/rectifier to your engine.
Also you will need to know how many wires and what colour they are coming from the stator.