JD Z345R

Dickie2011

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine cuts out randomly , wait a few minutes and it will restart.
Changed filters , oil , plugs , drained carby bowl

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you removed blower housing, cover over engine, & cleaned cooling fins each cylinder. Do not use water & perform this when engine is cold. Clean cooling fins keep your engine running cool whereas dirty cooling fins will cause an engine to overheat & possibly lockup. I use dental like tools from Harbor Freight to loosen all the crud up & a Shop Vac to vaccum it up. Use Star Tron fuel treatment per instructions on bottle to keep your carburetor running clean.
Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dang it. I have been doing it all wrong using the engine cleaning wand and Purple Power along with water or when I need to using 2 cycle fuel mix; just cant have any smokers around. But seriously first you need to clean out what you can with forced air.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine cuts out randomly , wait a few minutes and it will restart.
Changed filters , oil , plugs , drained carby bowl
Well you have two choices
1) keep throwing random parts at it
2) work out why it is stopping & rectify the problem.

The easiest way I know to do this is to fit an in line spark tester and watch it
If it flashes but the engine is missing then you have a fuel problem
If it stops flashing when the engine is cutting out then you have an electrical problem.
If you want further help from me then do that and come back with the results .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs 44N677-????-?? series.

When it dies is when you got to check for spark. I have seen loose terminals in the fuel solenoid (anti after fire solenoid) connector to give problems like this. More prone on Kawasaki engines but still a possibility.

Even failing seat safety can act like this but it causes no spark as do failing coils. Note this unit uses a N.O. [normal open] switch so 12VDC is running thru it which tends to cause it to burn internal contacts which intermittent problems. This switch controls a relay.