JD S240 Dies when hot

cterry66

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 2016 S240 with the Kawasaki FS600 v twin has died on me the last 2 times I mowed. The first time there didn't seem to be much gas in the fuel filter so I changed the filter and it started right up and I parked it.
Today it did the same thing.....after mowing about 45 minutes it started sputtering and quit. Not much fuel in the filter showing again.
Got it restarted wi the heavy choking and nursed it up into the shed. Wondering if it's vapor lock or a fuel pump issue
1040 hrs in the clock

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the fuel line off from the carb & crank the engine
You should get a strong flow , perhaps pulsing a bit if all is good
If not then you have a fuel supply problem so you trace it back, one item at a time
There are 6 things that can cause poor fuel flow
1) floating debris being sucked into the pick up tube forming a plug ( by far the most common )
2) failure of the venting system, particularly those with charcoal canisters ( No 2 )
3) delamination of the fuel line collapsing and blocking off the flow
4) ON JD's with hang down pick up tubes, cracks in the tube ( works ok when the tank is totally full the stops when the level drops )
5) bad impulse connection to the pump ( impulse pumps only )
6) failure of the impulse pump.

Note the pump is the least likely to be your problem but usually the first thing people replace for no good reason .

cterry66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pull the fuel line off from the carb & crank the engine
You should get a strong flow , perhaps pulsing a bit if all is good
If not then you have a fuel supply problem so you trace it back, one item at a time
There are 6 things that can cause poor fuel flow
1) floating debris being sucked into the pick up tube forming a plug ( by far the most common )
2) failure of the venting system, particularly those with charcoal canisters ( No 2 )
3) delamination of the fuel line collapsing and blocking off the flow
4) ON JD's with hang down pick up tubes, cracks in the tube ( works ok when the tank is totally full the stops when the level drops )
5) bad impulse connection to the pump ( impulse pumps only )
6) failure of the impulse pump.

Note the pump is the least likely to be your problem but usually the first thing people replace for no good reason .
Thank you for the good ideas
Charlie