JD E170 not charging the battery

redintrepid9

Forum Newbie
Threads
My JD E170 has quit charging the battery. The battery is the original one. According to the sticker on the battery, it was made in 2018. I assumed it was time to replace it, but I had it checked at O'Reilly and they told me it was OK. So, what should I check next?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Charge it then put it back & start the engine
Measure the voltage across the terminals engine off then at engine running full speed , should be 13 to 14 V DC.
Then check it for AC should read almost zero
Then go to the regulator and check the red wire to ground should also be 13 to 14 V DC
Check for AC
Then test the stator wires for AC should be around 26 to 30 V AC
Get back with your readings

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
My JD E170 has quit charging the battery.
Clue number 1.
The battery is the original one.
Saying that makes the battery sound old and might need replaced.
According to the sticker on the battery, it was made in 2018.
Yup time for a new one. You are lucky it lasted that long. Most people leave them outside in the frozen tundra winter with no charger blah blah.
had it checked at O'Reilly and they told me it was OK.
This comment makes me nervous. I'm not a fan of these internal resistance checkers the auto parts shops have. I like a real LOAD tester like the carbon pile jobs.

Hook up a multimeter. Measure battery voltage. Crank the engine. If it drops under 10.5 volts DC, replace it. Assuming all the connections are clean and tight. Good ground......

redintrepid9

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! Give me a little time and I'll report my findings!!

redintrepid9

Forum Newbie
Threads
I may not have done this correctly. But, here is what I have so far. The battery was dead. I jumped it off and while it was running, I checked the voltage across the battery terminals and it was zero. Hopefully this just means it isn't charging. Thanks again for the help!