JD 345 stops

fast tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
my 345 will start & run forever sitting but once I start forward it will go about 30ft &kill. It will start right back up & do the same thing again the third or forth time of this & it will not start again for about 5 minutes it will then start again but starts the whole procedure all over again. any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it happens check for spark. I suspect that your coil may be overheating causing a hot open or hot short. If no spark time to replace the coil. Also please delete the duplicate thread as it will only cause confusion.

fast tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Next time it happens check for spark. I suspect that your coil may be overheating causing a hot open or hot short. If no spark time to replace the coil. Also please delete the duplicate thread as it will only cause confusion.
Hello. My apologies for posting twice; I did not mean too. Just old fingers. As for deleting the duplicate thread, I've looked for how to delete the thread but couldn't find anything anywhere. Could you advise how to delete the thread, please?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being that old don’t worry about it.

javjacob

Threads
I would check and change the spark plugs first. Coils could be getting weak and not giving enough spark once under load but unlikely both at the same time. I would think one cylinder would keep the engine running. Pulse coils and stator would be another thing to look into. Could also be a seat switch going bad or something simple.

bluesky

Forum Newbie
Threads
My JD rider did that 2 years ago. After installing two new coils and cleaning the carburetor, which did not help; we found that the gas filter inside the fuel tank was cloughed. Replaced the in-tank filter and the engine has run for two years.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
That would be a good place to start. U need to determine why it is quiting.