Export thread

JD 345 plastic gear

J

jimdril

I sold my 345 a couple years ago, and I heard at the time of a plastic gear that might fail and need replacement. I didn't really look into it at the time, but now my son is considering a used one at the dealers with a little over a thousand hours on it and wondering how tough it is to replace the gear........BTY, what is the name of this gear?

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

1998 was the first year that JD used only steel cams. What year is the mower?

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

Did your son buy the mower?

H

Hoosierboy

I have a 345 and the internal fuel pump had a plastic gear, and it cost approx. $800. to repair it. They had to take radiator off, and take engine apart partly, and they replaced it with a metal upgraded gear.

T

Tenpoint

It's the cam gear that loses teeth. Short story is remove engine. Split crankcase. Remove rocker covers. Remove push rods. Replace cam w/cam gear. Since it has 1XXX hours, I would also replace the water pump, check the condition of the governor and oil pump.

With the new cam, it's suggested you install new cam followers and valve springs too.

TJR345

TJR345

I did my 98 345 a few years ago and went through the whole engine.Any 98 and lower had the plastic cam unless your serial number was above 106.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

My FD590V had 1,050 hours or so when i replace the cam, tappets, push rods, governor, oil pump, oil filter screen, water pump, and fuel pump. I done it this past spring. I decided to replace everything since i had it apart. The engine had never been touched prior.